Land Rover 90

Danny

Administrator
Well for a long time I have been after a land rovr 90 or 110 (110 would have been ideal) and over teh last 3 years I have seen a lot of Land rover 90s and every one was rubbish.

My need for something a bit more of a utility vehicle has been proved because for teh last 10 years I have had "skip cars" cars that get the rear seats flipped down and used to rip about in filled with building materials, tools and the last 4 years... bees.

I nearly lost all faith in finding a Landy that was decent and I went to teh dark side and bought an over priced vauxhall combo van which I gave back to the seller as it was dog poo.

After then looking at loads more vans I decided to increase my budget to £5k to find a Land Rover 90/110. This was a better budget but still everything I looked at was terrible and rotten. I posted on all teh groups and a few got back to me but one stood out and after chatting and what not I decided I wanted to keep looking. Well a few months past and I still was not any nearer so I decided to message the guy again and see if he had sold the 90 and he had not.

The next day I was in newbury barracks looking at this landy.

It has had a lot of work done on it including having teh bulkhead removed and repaired (not teh best repair but at least its all metal) it has a lovely 2.5 petrol engine and only done 93K miles.

As soon as I saw it and its condition it was teh right one for me... I did the deal and £4600 later and the courier was booked to bring it home.

It has not had an MOT for a long time so it has been a bit of a project.WhatsApp Image 2021-04-04 at 17.12.57 (2).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-04-04 at 17.12.57 (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-04-04 at 17.12.57.jpeg

Danny

Administrator
The first job I noticed was that the doors dont fit in the holes... so I decided to loosen teh bulkhead and tweak it with ratchet straps and what not to pring it further back towards to the rear and at last doors close and latch...

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-12 at 12.13.20.jpeg

This job took a long time and it was relentless.

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-08 at 21.05.36.jpeg

But eventually I got it quite near.... it is a landy overall.. I can adjust it further if needs be etc...

Danny

Administrator
The next job was to try and get it ready for the MOT... so that meant wiring lights etc...

Well the offside front wing had a huge dent in it and teh side repeater was not sitting right... so I decided to take teh wing off and panel beat it out... I got it very near with just hammers and dollies...

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-12 at 12.14.02.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-12 at 11.52.41.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-12 at 15.01.11.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-04-12 at 15.09.56.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-04-16 at 19.41.55.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-04-29 at 20.06.24.jpeg

Last edited:

Danny

Administrator
The bare ally on the rear quarter needed some paint... and this is where it escalates... I just keep patching and painting and all be it ok.. it wont pass a close inspection but for now it will do the job to keep teh sea air away...WhatsApp Image 2021-05-07 at 20.19.00.jpeg

I then worked my way round patching etc...

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-07 at 20.38.07.jpeg

As said its a rattle can job and not ggreat but it good for a landy...

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-15 at 20.21.20.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-06-15 at 20.21.19.jpeg

While doing all of this I have replaced all of teh lights and got them all working as they should...

teh front galv bumper has had a massive knock so I have been straightening that out and it is starting to look teh part...

I have also taken the roof off and re sealed it...

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-17 at 20.43.41.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-06-17 at 20.43.40 (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-06-17 at 20.43.40.jpeg

The doors need work... the bottoms are rotten but I need to find some time when I have teh chance to take them off and reweld the repair panels in... a job for next year :D

The tyres are coming off and being sold as I have more road going tyres which will be better for my use. I also have a ropey spare set of wheels for this which I will sell as well... I should get £500 or so back with those lot along which makes this not too bad.

There is still a tone of jobs to complete but they will take time...

The chassis is in great shape and has been treated and hardly any patches on it... I will be using Lanoguard in the next few weeks to protect it better but this landy will only be rumbling through the odd field now to collect bees and what not so nothing too major.

Danny

Administrator
I decided to take the door cards off the drivers door as Jane wants this door painting and I thought I would check the rust.... Oh boy!!!

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-20 at 23.56.13 (1).jpeg

Its very rotten but not as bad as the passenger door so I got teh rust treater out and then applied stone chip and wafting of Lanoguard for good measure :D One day I will cut that out and repair it but for now I just need the truck on the road..

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-20 at 23.56.13 (3).jpeg

The Dash on the 90 is hanging onto itself by luck and some research and I can replace all that for a about £100 so I am sitting tight till it really breaks and i have spare cash as I am flat out broke at the moment :-\

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-20 at 23.56.13.jpeg

I also had a pair of helpers with me while I did this...

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-20 at 23.56.13 (4).jpeg

Yes Maddy is sitting on a pack of toilet rolls... who knows why....

I also went over teh chassis and splodged rust treatment on the bits that needed it, which there is very little of to be honest. After tomorrows day on my other project (see another thread) (not the mojo) I will puff that rust treatment in with matt black paint and then a few coats later lash the Lanoguard on :D

Danny

Administrator
There was break in the weather so I whipped the door off and got it in paint. I only managed 1 coat of lacquer but when the weather breaks again I will puff it in with couple more coats.

Got a new door handle turning up and I quickly powder coated the old hinges.

Just buys me couple of years till I can find time to mke better repairs.

Really need this on the road now.

Danny

Administrator
Over the weekend I managed to get the last few jobs finished and get the landy ready for the mot on monday.

I treated the chassis with lanoguard and did the little jobs.

Monday came and it would be the first time I would have driven a landy on the public roads.

She started ok and we were off.

It's slow... really slow and my god does it wander about the road.

The first stop was to get the tyres swapped from the massive mud tyres to the bigger road tyres.

20210719_102612.jpg

I then drove round to the mot.

The tester was strict as I asked him to be and we found a few things to deal with. but nothing that failled the MOT

20210719_111643.jpg

One was a sticky bonnet catch which looks like it just a bit corroded but a few squirts of WD40 and a bit of abuse and now is working well..

On Tickover the landy was running lean and then when driving a hesitation was present... which got worse.... It looks like the fuel was struggling to get to fuel filter and fill the big filter. So I added a one way valve and also decided to run some carb cleaner through and it has made a world of difference... I have not road test it yet but will do in gteh next day or so.

The exhaust was blowing at the pipe between the manifold and the downpipe. Apparently it was only a little so not a worry but I feel it was quite bad.

I was looking for the right gasket and turns out it is a metal to metal cone fitting which is clamped... so lots of firegum and swearing I think I have fixed it but I will be getting rid of that with a new manifold and down pipe in the future...

The final job to do (for now) is to put my wheel alignment on the Landy as it appears to be a little out as the truck just wanders about the lane... hopefully it appears to be miles out and we can get it stable...

I assume it has never been done since the new suspension so probably a mile out

Phaeton

Staff member
The final job to do (for now) is to put my wheel alignment on the Landy as it appears to be a little out as the truck just wanders about the lane... hopefully it appears to be miles out and we can get it stable...
Whats that Sir, the vehicle wanders all over the road? No Sir that's called a feature, a characteristic, a foible if you will, they all do that, the advantage of the Landrover is that when it deposits you in the ditch it has an excellent 4 wheel drive system to get you back out with the aid of a recovery truck, or in your case the AA.

Danny

Administrator
The land rover saga continues...

I have had running issues for a while and I decided to rip out teh fuel lines and replace and new filters etc etc...

Then it srtarted then stopped and never went again...

So I took thr carb off and stripped cleaned and rebuilt with new needles and springs and all sorts of weber lovliness

I turned teh landy over and she fired into ife and although tickouver was fast she sounded lovely.

Maddy jumped in and we drove about the driveway and maddy loved it...

Happy fix...

Then I went out to get a new tiorque wrench and she ran perfect all the way there and I was just stopping at my yard and she would not start... lots of clicking but nothing!!!

The trouble was that yesterday a neighbopur got issued with a CCj from me :D and I was currently now broken down right outside their house... I needed to get moved quickly as they are obviously not exactly a fan of mine!!!

A friend came up and and jump start later and I was leaving the scene....

So the battery is new and appears to be charging well... But my gut instinct is the starter motor is shafted... wht do you guys think?

Phaeton

Staff member
Jump lead from negative on the battery straight to the engine, if that works your earth strap is goosed.