Manufacturer Plate

Phaeton

Staff member
Just reading the SVA manual I came across a section that states I should have a Manufacturer plate fitted to the car that states Manufacturer Name, Vehicle Identification (Chassis) Number, Maximum Permitted Laden weight for each axle, Maximum Permitted laden weight of the Vehicle,

Well I ain't got this, but it wasn't mentioned last week at the SVA but will they this week, also do I need it to get it registered?

This week is worse han last week, last week I was resigned to the fact it would fail, this week I want it to pass.

Alan..

iank

I'm fairly positive that relates only to 'proper' cars that are being imported.
You do need a chassis number stamped onto the chassis - I presume you have one of those, or it would have been a fail point.

My understanding of the retest is they only test the things on the fail sheet unless you've done something silly like pulling all the rubber trim off the bits that passed or changed big stuff like the engine.

You get it registered when you have passed, that is what you use the MAC certificate is used for. Need to arrange an appointment with your local DVLA office and fill in the forms. Some come out to visit you, some send plod to visit, some insist you take the car to them (some insisting you can drive, some saying it must be trailered) the usual DVLA randomness applies obviously :? They check receipts and chassis number and decide on what kind of plate you will get (Q, age related or new), assign a reg number and give you the docs you need to get plates made up legally.

Phaeton

Staff member
Thanks on that one Ian, there is so much grey area it's unreal at times. I have a chassis number (made up in brass by Timpson's) which is pop riveted to the arm that holds the steering coloum.

I too was under the impression also they only checked the fail things, hence why they have only allowed one hour tomorrow, but you never know, if something wasn't notied last time I'm sure it wouldn't be an automatic pass this time.

As to registering that's a whole new can of worms, I'm going to open a new post on that one.

Alan...

toyotacat1

Hi
When i put mine in for it's mot before the sva test the mot bloke said the chassis number had to be stamped into the chassis and that a plate rivited to the chassis was'nt acceptable as it can be changed what my mates in the seven replica (tiger) groups have done is stamp it on a piece of steel and welded it to the chassis!
Hope this is of some help!

Lee

hmalan

Lee,

I mentioned to Alan just before his SVA test started that I thought the chassis number had to be in a permanent position on the chassis, ie:not riveted on.

However at his test they checked his plate and said ok.

I think this is just an example of how the test centres differ on interpretation.

I visit the Locost builders site regularly and on there they have a number of comments that the Sheffield DVLA office never bother having the car checked but just deal with the paperwork, so again they also seem to differ

Alan T