Master Cylinder Identification

Phaeton

Staff member
Guys,

Got a problem with the brakes & it logically is the M/C I set off to go to Newark yesterday & got about 5 miles, then all of a sudden the Buggy wouldn't pick up & I ended up doing about 10MPH in first with foot flat to floor. Pulled over & the Buggy stopped dead, got out & tried to move it, it was solid & all discs were HOT. I undid the top connector (Front brakes) off the M/C & all was okay again, I then drove very steadily to Newark & only needed the brakes once going onto a roundabout, but had no problems. Checked it all over at Newark & couldn't find a fault, all brakes worked fine & could even lock the fronts up on gravel as normal. On the drive back I got all the way back to Worksop using the brakes as normal & then suddenly had the same problem again, pulled over loosened the banjo & all was fine, had to do this 3 times in total.

My guess is it's the seals in the M/C any other options? Also anyone know what M/C I have

Sorry not very good pictures it's starting to go dark

Alan...

jason_l

Sounds a bit random?

Like you say could be the springs/seals inside the master cylinder. Yours looks like the yellow tag version (same as mine) but its missing the yellow tag part by the looks of it. I rebuilt mine before it went onto the buggy. I believe mini sport do a overhaul kit for it, im sure everywhere sells them  ???

esdebe

Well, it could be a type 3 (yellow tag) or it could be a metro one which is similar in appearance, but the two outlets would be the same size and they are also a couple of mm closer to each other making a mini type 4 resovior fit perfectly if you are using one for a pendulum box conversion.

Simon

Phaeton

Staff member
So if the outlets are different sizes then it's a Yellow, if the same size a type 4 (no colour?) the donor was supposed to be a Metro, maybe this is the only thing of the Metro left.

Yes Jason a bit random & been okay for the last 1000 miles or so that I've put on, I did have a problem a few weeks aog that I had to put my foot under the pedal & pull it back after pressing the brake, but I just thought that was the linkage that needed grease.

Alan...

esdebe

type 4 is the servo one, so it looks diffrent anyway, I just know you can take the resivour of it and put it straight onto the early non servo metro one.

Simon

jason_l

Phaeton":iwy468tm said:
So if the outlets are different sizes then it's a Yellow, if the same size a type 4 (no colour?) the donor was supposed to be a Metro, maybe this is the only thing of the Metro left.

Yes Jason a bit random & been okay for the last 1000 miles or so that I've put on, I did have a problem a few weeks aog that I had to put my foot under the pedal & pull it back after pressing the brake, but I just thought that was the linkage that needed grease.

Alan...

Sounds like it may be the springs/seals then Alan? If the brakes where hot when you felt them then they are just sticking on! If the pedal stayed down as well it way be the spring catching and holding it down?

When i overhauled mine i did notice some corrosion on the inside of the mastercylinder, i made sure i got the inside surface as smooth as possible to prevent it from fouling up.

Hope you get this sorted soon mate as you need brakes  :eek:

iank

Pedal sticking down could be caused by the clevis rod being at too great an angle when in and catching on the side.  Would probably leave a rubbing mark on the rod if you've got the pedal box apart.

JAMIE B.

Alan, I had this problem years ago, it was caused by corrosion inside the master cylinder, causing the piston to stick. Best thing to do is trash the M.C. and get a replacement, you never know when you might need brakes !!

Jamie

Phaeton

Staff member
Yeah must admit, it's £30 for a repair kit or £70 for a new one, I know money is tight but it'd be a lot tighter for the family if I wasn't around, they might be happier but poorer. Going to take it off tonight to have a look, it didn't stick down this time, it actually went very hard & wouldn't go down.

Alan...

jason_l

Phaeton":3v7xixn0 said:
Yeah must admit, it's £30 for a repair kit or £70 for a new one, I know money is tight but it'd be a lot tighter for the family if I wasn't around, they might be happier but poorer. Going to take it off tonight to have a look, it didn't stick down this time, it actually went very hard & wouldn't go down.

Alan...

Sounds like the corrosion is now so bad that its stopping the spring from compressing  :D if you do get it to go down it aint coming back up  :D

HolyCount

Phaeton":2y1a56tw said:
Yeah must admit, it's £30 for a repair kit or £70 for a new one, I know money is tight but it'd be a lot tighter for the family if I wasn't around, they might be happier but poorer. Going to take it off tonight to have a look, it didn't stick down this time, [glow=red,2,300]it actually went very hard & wouldn't go down.[/glow]

Alan...

Only half a pill next time  ::) ::) ::) :eek:

iank

HolyCount":3kk50qpj said:
Phaeton":3kk50qpj said:
Yeah must admit, it's £30 for a repair kit or £70 for a new one, I know money is tight but it'd be a lot tighter for the family if I wasn't around, they might be happier but poorer. Going to take it off tonight to have a look, it didn't stick down this time, [glow=red,2,300]it actually went very hard & wouldn't go down.[/glow]

Alan...

:eek: ;D ;D

Angel Boy

HolyCount":2oocx384 said:
Phaeton":2oocx384 said:

Alan...

ROFLOL

Andy

Phaeton

Staff member
Okay taken it off & it looks like it's an older type one, both the outlets are the same size, it has LB06BZ036AD cast into the side. I see no reason other than I will have to get some conversion banjo's made up why I don't replace it with a Yellow banded one. Or is ther a better choice as I will be going pendulum over winter.

Alan...
p.s. Thanks lads I know I'm old but so far not had that problem, well not that I'm going to admit about.

Phaeton

Staff member
Ordered a new MC from jonspeed4minis.co.uk £70 delivered but it now poses another question, this one is a Yellow tag & has 2 different size threads. Searched through all the questions & can't find which goes to the large thread front or rear (large is bottom nearest clevis) On the MC coming out, the front were at the top & rear at bottom,

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
Jamie,

Not doubting you, well not not doubting you but are you sure that's right I was talking to Simon on MSN last night & we found an old post that siad the other way round, but I've lost the link now.

The MC arrived today, but now I need a M12x1 banjo, went to a supplier today & they only have M12x1.5 & there's none on Fleecbay.

Alan...

JAMIE B.

Just went out and re-checked, yup, thats the way I have it. No complaints about the brakes, in fact the sva tester said they were exceptionally good on the brake tester, no problem with the bias either.

Can't remember where I got the union though, I think it may have been Unipart automotive (Partco)

Failing that, pull one off an old mini and clean it up.

Jamie

Phaeton

Staff member
Well made up a converter today, like a Muppet I put the lid back on before I took photos. But in essence I have a short piece of copper tube with a 12mm on one end & a 10mm on the other, that screws into the MC & a 10mm x 10mm female to pick up the existing 10mm banjo. All works but after several attempts woth the ezibleed I'm sure I still have air in, that's even taking the Golf calipers off & turning them over. So I was wondering about buying One of these anyone any experience with them?

Alan...

Angel Boy

Oooo, that looks quite cool if you have an air compressor, like an Eezy-bleed kit in reverse.  No experience of one, but can see how it might work better.

Andy