Master Cylinder Identification

Phaeton

Staff member
Bought one anyway to see how good they are, the ezibleeds are great but I always seem to knacker the seals up & you can't get replacements.

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
Well it came the other day & yesterday I used it, so simple & very effective, now a brake pedal that I'm happy with.

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
Holy thread revival Batman,

Got a problem with my brakes, had this since I put the MGF callipers on but lived with it since I did it, but now need to resolve it properly, from the above it appears that the large connector is connected to the rear, the smaller is connected to front. If this is correct then I have mine the wrong way around, can somebody else confirm this please.

Alan...

Lilspeed

Well if yours is right Alan, then mine is wrong!
I'm not 100% sure mine is right but I found this on Keith Calver's website and went with it;

The later master cylinder (GMC227 - supplied as a replacement for the early types and requires a conversion pipe kit, sometimes identifiable by a yellow plastic band around the cylinder body) has metric threaded fittings with nuts of two different sizes - top one bigger than the bottom one. The conversion pipe kit is necessary because the piston functions (and therefore the port supply ones too) are reversed. The upper/top port feeds the front brakes, the lower/bottom one feeding the rear brakes.

Made sense to me because the smaller bore in the top part of the cylinder will produce more pressure so should probably feed the fronts.

Hope that helps!

Phaeton

Staff member
Yep I think you are right, it found something along the same lines, found this post post19653.html?hilit=brakes#p19653 so tonight I have removed the braised hoses as I thought I needed new ends, but worked out I had everything I needed so put it all back together the opposite way round. But what I think has been confusing me is that my bottom one, the one marked FRONT in the picture is the one with the biggest outlet. But we'll see tomorrow night after I've bleed them.

Alan...

Danny

Administrator
or do what I did drive realise your brakes suck then chop the ends off at stoneleigh and hope that we can find ends....lol