Matt's Blitz2 Discussion Thread

Phaeton

Staff member
Q: How easy is it to fit an LSD to a mini gearbox?

I'm told never have done one that it's not a hard job, I'm also pretty sure there is a comprehensive guide on theminiforum which if you need I'll try to find, you've just got to watch for the children on there.

Q: Can it be done without dismantling the engine/gearbox completely? am thinking it just comes out, after removing the cover on the rear of the box, where the driveshafts exit the box.

You donit touch the actual engine gearbox as far as I know it's all done at the rear oooer It's can't be done with the engine in the Mini but not sure about a Blitz

Q: Is it possible to have a 'cross-pin diff' and an LSD?

Again yes I believe this to be true & a standard upgrade.

I'm sure someone who actually knows the answers will be along soon.

Alan...

wurzell

Depends on which type of Slipper you use.....
Old Salisbury Powerlok, Early Quaife, later Jack Knight's, and most Minispares Plate types usually require the Gearbox Casing & Diff Housing to be hacked around (sorry, modified by grinding and polishing) to enable them to be fitted, there just isn't enough space within most casings for everything...
Only the very early BMC Special Tuning/Jack Knight MK1 Cam & Pawl type LSD will definitely fit without casing modification, and these are totally obsolete, being some 45 years young!
I happen to have a couple of these VERY rare items, but I would'nt recommend using them, Driveshafts etc, being completely different..
Virtually EVERY LSD that I've ever done needed some clearance to be found, it's not difficult to do, just time consuming, helps if you have access to a Milling Machine or Lathe..
Sometimes, even the Crownwheel to Diff Bolt Heads foul on the Casings, so have to be "Thinned" down to clear. Despite what Minispares will tell you, it's not exactly a straightforward "like for like" swop, I would say that you nearly ALWAYS have to modify and alter something!
The LSD itself, together with it's special, non standard Output Shafts are all somewhat bigger in size than a Standard type Diff...
Sometimes, even the (Special) LSD Type Crownwheels are too small internally to fit properly onto the actual Diff unit itself, and these have to be modified (by grinding) to fit!
At least if you use a Crosspin/4 Pin Diff Unit, these WILL fit without modification, also means that you can use Standard type Crownwheel & Pinion, although I would only recommend the Genuine Minispares Diff.
Certainly avoid the Mini Sport ones, they tend to spit out their Roll Pins with alarming frequency...
Cost is probably the biggest factor, ANY good LSD, etc will cost you (at least) four or five times what a Standard Diff will...

jason_l

Blitz looks great Matt  ;D

Glad you finally got it all up and running, you will have to take me out for a spin in it at some point as your just around the corner from me  ::) Have you got it road legal or is it just an off'roader?

more pics  ;D ;D ;D

Jason

Buggybloke

I am currently trying to get my wet-weather equipment sorted for the Blitz2, I've almost made up the surround for the windscreen, I've made and plumbed in the heater, (which has 2 extra pipes to feed hot air to screen demisters). I think I'll have to fit an extra fan in it to give sufficient hot air circulation. Currently, when stopped at lights/junctions etc, I get lovely toasty and warm in the feet department, but all the warmth disappears when I move off! lol!..... with the roof/sidescreens fitted it will stay cosy,.... hopefully!

Phaeton

Staff member
Matt,

Although you say you can't really feel it around your feet, turn it off completely sometime, you'll notice the difference. I used to think with the Freestyle & how open it is that I might not get any benefit, but you can tell when you switch it off.

Alan...