Melvin the Mev Mevster Discussion Thread

250buggys

Ha ha Alan that cash really was burning a hole in your pocket.

I was hoping you were going to build the Silvia Riot kit but never mind the MEV should be good fun too.

You definitely win the prize for most kit cars owned and sold in 2020 :D

Better get familiar with the IVA manual...

Phaeton

Staff member
250buggys":sl26s8t9 said:
I was hoping you were going to build the Silvia Riot kit but never mind the MEV should be good fun too.
Chris, I was very close to buying the Riot, the guy even offered to modify the engine mounting to a Ford engine for me before picking it up, but the only thing that put me off was the space around the pedals. Both the Formula 27 & the Robin Hood lacked somewhere to put your left foot on a journey & you have to just sort of tuck it away or try not to ride the clutch. The Riot looked the same, I also went to Blyton to the CKC trackday they had & there was a Mevster there, only 1 of the 3 that are on the road & there is loads of space so that sort of sold it me. I also like the idea that sone of the basic grunt work had been done chassis mated to the skate, engine installed etc. although plans may have now changed & I'l be taking the chassis back off the skate as I think I will be swapping the engines physically over rather than just on paper. I have a good known engine in the donor, makes sense to me to use that one I could finish the kit with the existing one only to find the engine is knackered.

ChaosMS

Nice one Alan, is this going to be a longer term project then?? - looking forward to seeing pics of it without the covers over it!!

250buggys

Hi Alan, did you manage to get the original bill of sale from the owner? That helps if you want to register as new and get an age related plate etc.

Phaeton

Staff member
No not as yet, the original purchaser was Emmanuel College, Cambridge, but I am told that if I contact the original owner of Mev, Stewart Mills, he has copies of all the sales invoices & for a fee, he is prepared to offer a copy. I just haven't got around to it yet,

250buggys

I recon you could have sold, doors, rear bumper and calipers on eBay etc.

Pretty sure Danny sold all of his MGF and made a profit.

With the ST170 I recon eventually all parts will appreciate in value like most fast Fords and much like the classic mini. So it all is down the back of the shed under a tarp :)

Danny

Administrator
250buggys":vyzt9w9w said:
I recon you could have sold, doors, rear bumper and calipers on eBay etc.

Pretty sure Danny sold all of his MGF and made a profit.

With the ST170 I recon eventually all parts will appreciate in value like most fast Fords and much like the classic mini. So it all is down the back of the shed under a tarp :)
That funded the purchase of the mojo I think ss well

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Phaeton

Staff member
Nope I tried, there are so many NB's (MK2) that have been scrapped there is a huge glut in spares, had it been a NA (MK1) it would have been a different story, they haven't reached critical mass yet, another couple of years. However with what the car cost me, what I have sold & what it will weigh in at it's been a good deal. If I had space I could have kept some bits but I'm very short on it so they had go.

Danny

Administrator
The way to get away with scrapping a car without giving the V5 is if you simply cut it up and throw it in the metal bin :D

I think you may struggle now to get an age related plate.

Phaeton

Staff member
That's something to worry/think about in a few months time, but I don't see it as an issue. More concerned about the 22 bushes I have to get out, I also think I may have ordered the wrong polybush set!

Phaeton

Staff member
Forgot to mention, I've packaged them up, should be with you Monday Danny, what's your turnaround time for powder coating?

Phaeton

Staff member
It's good to be building again, but I feel a little more paranoid this time for some reason, I'm wanting to do this 'properly' which is a strange sensation for me, just hope we have a kind winter, I did Bumble over the winter 2008/2009 working outside under floodlight is not a good thing.

250buggys

Hi Alan

I have the same brake flaring tool as you have, nice piece of kit. I bought cheaper alternatives but sent them back as they were shite and produced no good results!.

Went to Whitby too recently, best fish and chips ever but couldn't find a place to park for a very long time!

We used to have neighbours like you until we moved. Cars on low loaders turned up at all times of the night and the family would spend all day and night stripping them for parts and lorries would turn up and take away the engines and parts on pallets. We referred to them as the CHAVS. Proper ASBO family and caused a rain PITA for everyone around. All they had to do was rent a lock up etc.

Keep up the good work, Chris ;D
Hope you get on with your neighbours... ::) I remember Dan saying his neighbours were not a fan of his angry grinder... :mad:

ChaosMS

Alan, looking fantastic mate, really nice work and make lots of progress !! a lot more than I am :)
The way your going its going to be ready for IVA by Christmas!!

Phaeton

Staff member
ChaosMS":3lsxzd7z said:
The way your going its going to be ready for IVA by Christmas!!
Not sure about Christmas , but I'm being forced to take a week off work or lose it, so it's going to come on week after next hopefully, but now we're back on lockdown, not sure how long I'll have to wait for an IVA they have a good backlog.