Mini action day Castle Combe 25th Sept

mud68

Went to Castle Combe yesterday, was in the queue ready to go out on the track (parade lap only  :-\) . Someone comes up to me and says 'that's my buggy!'. It was Dave Smart.
Went out on the track, came back and had a chat with him. He has moved up North somewhere and still has the jigs for the Funbuggy stored down South. He has no intensions of making anymore as it's not finically viable, said he might possibly sell the jigs one day.
He still has his buggy but it hasn't been on the road for a few years. Seemed like a nice bloke who enjoyed driving his buggy (went to Italy in it) but has now moved on. He seemed to be upto date with what was going on with the IVA problems and what was happening / being said on this forum.

jason_l

Dave seemed like a nice guy when we met him and its a real shame that the freestyle has died off but i understand. If its not financially viable then no point making them! I can't see why he wouldn't want to sell the jigs on sooner than later though?

How was castle combe? Been there a few times but never been round the track......yet ::)

mud68

Not as packed as last year, good show to get parts.
Only did the parade laps - luckily went out near the back of the convoy. Managed to hang back a bit, then throw it through the chicanes a few times  ;D.
Suspension setup is still wrong, keep making adjustments trying to improve it. After I did all the mods 55/60mph and it all went light at the front - not nice, now it's okay upto 75/80mph (private roads and tracks of course  ;)).
Biggest difference made was less camber front & back, toe out on front minimal, toe in on rear minimal. Also angle of car front to back (raised hi-lo's to increase rear height), seemed to help.