Mini balljoints....M.O.T...... grrr!

Buggybloke

As my M.O.T. test was looming in the horizon, (today's horizon, actually!), a couple of days ago, I checked the balljoints on my Blitz2, bearing in mind I replaced all 8 of them, prior to last years test,..... the 2 upper front ones were showing signs of wear, but as I'd fitted them new, I was hoping to be able to adjust them, then I remembered that when I put them on there was no adjustment available, as with any shims fitted at all they would not tighten up. So, I bought another set, intending to replace just the upper 2 front joints, which I did as per the 'Royal Book of Haynes Lies', only to find this time in order for them to be adjusted to the correct amount, I had to fit 2x of the thick tab/grease nipple washers, and 3x thinner shims.....on each joint? A little odd, I thought,.... anyway M.O.T. at 4pm today, all went well today, until he came to check front suspension...... upper front balljoint, was now as slack as a whore's doo-daa!!! :mad:, M.O.T. man reckons it could have 'settled' since me fitting it :-\, and I was welcome to take it back in the morning and show him I'd re-adjusted it, and collect my pass certificate then. Has anyone else had this with these pesky balljoints?, I hate doing them, bloody things. Odd how only the top ones seem to show any wear,.... and why do the lower ones have a spring in them and not the top ones? ??? ???