More Coolant woes for me

hmalan

Coming home from the show at Newark the small rubber hose between the water pump and cylinder head split and dumped the coolant.

After an hour I managed to force a piece of hose from the header tank into place and this got me home ok.

I then ordered two replacement hoses from Mini Spares, one to fit and one to keep as a spare.

I cut off the temporary hose (that did work ok) and went to fit the first of the new hoses. This split down the seam before I even had it on the car.

Fitted the second hose and I had probably covered about 30 miles since when I was out in the car yesterday, I pulled up outside my brother in laws house, got out to see steam rising from the back.

When I checked the hose has split again, a small split but enough obviously to make it useless.

Another temporary repair using another piece of hose from the header tank and I got home.

I am now going to take off the radiator and water pump and fit a solid piece of hose rather than the "easy fit" ones I have been using. :mad:

Phaeton

Staff member
Alan, I think there's a fix whereby you block off both holes & drill holes in the thermostat.

Alan..
p.s. Have a good holiday?

esdebe

the pipe into the head is threaded and can be unscrewed and plugged, and the pump can be plugged (I plugged mine by tapping the inside of the connector for the bypass and then putting a bolt into it covered in gasket makert.  You can then run without the bypass, it is suggested that you drill a few holes (about 1/8th) around the top of the thermostat to allow the coolant to flow before the thermostat opens up.  I drilled 2 holes each of 4mm

Simon

hmalan

Simon, I think I will give that a try, thanks

Alan, Don't go away until 1st August so I might see you before then

Phaeton

Staff member
Think I have ironed all my niggles out until the next one comes along, if you can get a pass out one night give me a shout we'll go for a blast.

Alan...