Mr Bumble's Phaeton's Discussion Thread

Mini Mad Max

Wow the wiring and the front end of your buggy looks a hell of a lot tidier and organised just looking at before and after! You may find what you're doing is slow, but i'm re-building my gearbox :D ::)
Max

Phaeton

Staff member
Cheers Max starting to look like it wasn't thrown together to get through a test before a cut-off date,  :)

Just remember with gearboxes, if you have bits left over at the end, that's bad, and if you get to the end & can't find that last bold or nut that's also bad.  ;D

Alan...

jason_l

Its looking good Alan!  8)

I still have the wiring to do on mine! Why o why did i sell that ABS loom! Should have at least taken down notes, which i didn't do :mad:

I keep looking at the wiring but its where do you start??? i have the engine loom for the starlet so im not too worried about that but need to create something from scratch for the inside and lights of the buggy. Think i may just have to start at the battery and work out. I have loads of wiring and connectors etc!

May look like you haven't done much but its one of those things that needs to be done properly and will be all the easier/better for you taing your time over.

Keep up the good work and the updates coming :D

Jason

jason_l

Danny":2w448c1g said:
I hate wiring.... goes right over my head!!

Danny

PS looking good alan!

To be honest Danny in my personal opinion it would be better running the wiring down the side of the buggy rather than up and over your head  ;D

collie

Sorry I missed you Alan, thanks for the fuel tank, it's added to the massive list of things I need to do this summer!
You know they say Chicken is brain food!  :p

drew355

Phaeton":1bs596li said:

Just remember with gearboxes, if you have bits left over at the end, that's bad, and if you get to the end & can't find that last bold or nut that's also bad.  ;D

Alan...

Nahh!

If you have bits left over at the end, you have improved the efficiency of the design, throw the bits in the bin and enjoy feeling smug!

If you cant find the last nut and bolt, it obviously wasnt needed or there in the first place.

In both cases you can now officially re badge your car as the RS lightweight version... Anyone need a hand with their rebuilds???  ;D  ;)

BRUC3

Seats look real smart!!!

You just need a 'snap off' steering wheel now so it goesnt get all grubby and green!!!

Mini Mad Max

I like the set up... will your water pump cope? Particularly your pulley, I'd have thought the standard smallest diameter one would be best for this set up due to the rate the pump should need to work to shift enough water. Out of curiosity do you know the capacity of your coolant system now :p ? Also I agree with traditional ruber hoses, hell of a lot cheaper, and it's not like they won't last as long as oil will on the planet :D The pipe routing looks good too! Look forward to seeing the results :)
Max

BRUC3

Its updates like this that make this forum such a great place. The diversity is brilliant! I looked at Chaos' update where everything is neat, proper and mostly expensive, then I go to your thread where its made up on the spot, done on a budget and yet still works!!!

Its good to see both ends of the spectrum, and yet again, hats off to ya :)

Phaeton

Staff member
Mini Mad Max":1p62u989 said:
I like the set up... will your water pump cope?
Max

Thanks Max, All I can say is I hope so, tbh it's a suck & see job I think it will, it seems to work for the GTM's they have their radiators up front. I have got a 2nd option that is an electric water pump, remove the mechanical one, plate it off & go electric, again more work, but an option.

BRUC3":1p62u989 said:
Its updates like this that make this forum such a great place. The diversity is brilliant! I looked at Chaos' update where everything is neat, proper and mostly expensive, then I go to your thread where its made up on the spot, done on a budget and yet still works!!!

Its good to see both ends of the spectrum, and yet again, hats off to ya :)

Cheers, Bruce, currently spending the amount of money other people spend is not an option for me at the moment, not that there is anything wrong, it's their choice, just one I don't have. I'm more into making it work & driving, looks come 2nd, I leave that to the wife with her Jap cars.

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
Hopefully have it running without the fans tonight, need to sort out some form of temperature sensor, the one that I got with the rad doesn't switch until 110 degrees which is a little hot.

Alan...

wagon

Don't want to sound too rude - But i think you should invest in some paint under there!  :eek:

After spending a year rectifying rust I'd hate the same to happen to you!

Phaeton

Staff member
Not rude at all and yes it does, the buggy is an early Dave one, probably from '02/03 I think been around lots of people before I got it in late 2008 with a target of getting it through SVA before April '09. The idea was get it through & then rebuild, but once it was built & on the road that went out the door, so next plan was rebuild over winter '09, missed that so the absolutely definite, without fail plan was to rebuild over winter 2010 & we know what happened there. Although once I am happy with the rad etc, it will come off & the bare metal will get some paint. The difficulty I have is space, once it's in the garage there is no space to work on it, so everything has to be done outside & getting enthusiasm when cold & wet is sometimes hard.

Alan...

jason_l

Know exactly what you mean Alan!

I almost did the exact same and just get it through SVA and then rebuild later but knew full well that if i had it road legal and working i would never strip it down for a rebuild as its working so why fix it! Instead i went the route i did, i do like the way mine is slowly getting there and when built will just be enjoyed to its fullest! However, On the other hand every day the sun is out i am kicking myself as its currently still sat here in its unfinished state and part of me wish's i had just got the thing road legal first and then do the rebuilds over winter.

Anyway, going slightly off topic there. Its looking great Alan, will be interested to see how well the front mount rad works and if the pump copes! I should have kept the front chequer piece and just drilled holes like you have done!

Jason :D

Phaeton

Staff member
I do have the option of an electric pump, but I'm not sure how I can get rid of the old water pump, I need the outlet to get the water in but not the impeller. So maybe I have to make a plate that blocks off the water pipe & weld an inlet onto that.

Alan...