Mr Bumble's Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phaeton

Staff member
Is there no end to the butchery I subject him to.

IMAG0528.jpg

IMAG0529.jpg

IMAG0530.jpg

IMAG0531.jpg

Looks like I caught one of the aluminium pipes so may have some thing else to repair, it was very heavy lifting the chassis over the subframe then I remembered I probably have 30 litres of fuel in the tank

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
His new heart was fetched tonight, oh dilemma, not doing HG but think I have to do the cambelt

IMAG0532.jpg

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
He lives!!!! finally got everything connected up yesterday & then did a Danny & cranked it over for a while with the king lead missing to make sure all oil got everywhere. Then put the lead back, turned it over & it fired up straight away, sounds way way better than before, so let it tickover for a few minutes. Had to modify the exhaust today as it was being pulled well out of line, tried to make a bit of a new dash & got an annoying electrical fault. Appears to be within the unit itself as it's getting power to the head but not to the warning lights, not sure if one of the copper tracks has gone, bypass it for the time being to get everything working. Left it running for 10 minutes or so, then jumped in & tried the gears, moved forward a yard in 1st, rolled back, then tried all all other forward gears & finally reverse all there which is good.

Also made myself a low coolant alarm, modified the engine fan circuit by putting a float into the coolant tank & a box with a couple of resistors, if the coolant drops a big red light comes on the dash.

Only bugbear is just gone outside to put everything away & there is a few drops of water coming out of the joint between the copper pipe & the silicone hose, 'hopefully' will be able to nip it up a little tighter tomorrow night.

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
Bit out of order but come across a slight problem, here is the tank again

IMAG0520.jpg

There are 2 outlets one each side of the tunnel (pointing towards each other in the image), the VDO sender is on the same side as the filler & what I think more importantly on the same side as the fuel return from the injection system. Going to work today just after I got off the M1 he started playing up just like fuel starvation, luckily I managed to coax him about a mile & a half to a Morrison's that has a petrol station. Once I filled up, it was all system's go & running brilliantly. What I think is happening is, the fuel is being sucked out of both half's but one side is being filled back up with the fuel return, so I end up with a partition that's sucking air & the other side sucking fuel. Currently the pipes are teed, I may have to separate them into into separate feeds & put a tap/solenoid in to shut off that side once it gets empty.

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
WOW I can't believe it's 13 months since I put anything on here, although I'm not sure I've done much but drive him, Simon was the first passenger in 4 years (I think) over the weekend & wasn't impressed with my old phone mounting point trying to rip a hole in his knee.

Before

After

Also WD40'd the seatbelt clip for him as the last time it was used I think was for the MOT.

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
So Friday I got a text with an eviction order for Bumble, had to have him moved by the end of today, went up & put the battery on. Turned key & started first time after a little cough & a splutter, dropped him off the axle stands & brought him home, for a quick inspection. Apart from the poor brakes which I know about the dip beam wasn't working, but found that that was just a fuse & the broken wind deflector, something had dropped on it whilst under the car port. Need to nail why these brakes are right, but struggling for enthusiasm to do anything car related at the moment.

Phaeton

Staff member
Well the above post was a couple of weeks ago & since then Bumble has sat under a cover outside the house. I looked at the brakes & swapped the pipes front to rear around & now at least I have some feeling, still think there might be a small amount of air in there but will have another go a bleeding later. He's been sat as good as gold at the old fella's house & as soon as I got him home overnight he decided to dump the contents of his gearbox all over the drive. Sent for a seal last week & tonight I decided to replace the seal, but only got as far as

SWMBO then called time on the proceeding, but it's a lot easier to work on then a Mini, should be back together tomorrow & then I have to go see if I can get an MOT

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
So giving Bumble the once over sees the boots on the trackrods are split so decides to buy a new pair, Saturday was jill's birthday so no chance to get them fitted, Sunday she invites the family around as she hadn't seen them on Saturday so there is little time to fit them. But still went out to take old ones off & noticed that the rack boots had split as well, so on way home tonight picks a set up. But whilst I'm fitting the track rods & the rack boots I noticed this.

Which when removed was

Does it never end, not long to get him ready, don't need setbacks.

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
So Wales is only 4 weeks away needed to make sure Bumble would be okay, since the MOT where the mileage jumped 20 miles when the garage is only 1 mile away, (they came & collected & clearly took the scenic route) he's been losing water & getting hot. So K series immediately thought HEAD GASKET, but luckily it appears only to have been a slight split in a hose which would only leak when the pressure got up, so that was taken care of. Next I've never been happy with the position of the gear stick it was a bit of a stretch to get to first, so removed all that yesterday along with the seats & fuel tank to get access. Intention is to move it rearward about 100mm which will also mean the handbrake has to come backwards as well, but I think there's enough room. I'm also going to calibrate the fuel sender properly this time along with fitting a solenoid to get a reserve fuel tank in the partition behind the drivers seat.

Phaeton

Staff member
Well I have done a few things on Bumble this year, just didn't document which is not like me. But the gear stick was moved back 4 inches to give me more leg room, it was encroaching on the space needed for my left knee. This made the handbrake come back 3 inches. Much better for driving as I was having to reach forward to change gear before, I also installed a solenoid valve on one side of the fuel tank & hopefully calibrated my fuel sender. Not really had chance to test this as when in Wales I just filled up when all the thirsty small fuel tanked A series did :)

But standing out in all weather is not going the old guy any good, so yesterday I cleared out my excuse for a garage & then today modified some shelving so that both Bumble & Blade could share the space, it is very tight though

I tried putting the Blade in first & then getting Bumble in but this didn't work, once in, I also have to jack Bumble sideways to get him past the door frame & far enough over to get Blade in, with that in mind it looks like he's there to stay till next year :-(

I did notice that his radiator is slightly higher at one side than the other & that the aluminium is not symmetrical, looks like on I was a victim of the road that Simon took us down, looking at the brackets the drivers side is twisted up, clearly with a FB in the drivers seat he's a bit lower at that side.

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
So last evening we were invaded by relatives so it seemed a good time to disappear outside away from everybody.

I went to look at the damage on the radiator mounts, looking up from underneath I was presented with

IMAG0504-1.jpg

Compared with the other side

IMAG0507-1.jpg

Also noticed it had bent the bulkhead back as well, not easy to see from this photo

IMAG0511-1.jpg

With the radiator removed I had this, unfortunately I couldn't straighten the bracket on the car & now wish I hadn't welded it on, would have been better bolted on. So I ended up having to angry grind it off, it's now in the workshop having been bent straight but needs a new plate welding in.

IMAG0509-1.jpg

I also want to modify the radiator whilst it is off, although I have not had any overheating issues & the engine runs nice & cool, the fans did come on a few times whilst in Wales, which is what should happen. I'm running a couple of 7" motorcycle fans, I'm thinking of updating them to a pair of 10" fans but I also want to move the fans slightly back from the radiator & shroud the radiator so it pulls air from the whole of the radiator & not just from in front of the fans.

IMAG0508-1.jpg

Phaeton

Staff member
So Stoneleigh is only 5 weeks away, my Granddaughter is due to be born between now & then, there's a lot going off at work, so thought I'd better make a start otherwise like Danny I won't be in a buggy at Stoneleigh. Last post showed my bike fans, which although had been affective I was never happy with. As my radiator was 20"x10" I bought 2x 10" fans, only to find when they arrived they were in fact 11.5"x11" when you add the casing which means hey looked like

So they were sent back & 2x 8" were ordered, I so wanted to order 9" but I got no answers back about the casing size, anyway the 8" ones arrived today & were mounted up.

Managed to get the lads Fireblade out of the garage so with the clocks changing this weekend hopefully get some more done on the new bracket next week.

Phaeton

Staff member
Everything is now back together, put a battery on & he started first turn of the switch which was impressive, so as nothing is broken I figured I ought to try harder. One of the issues of the K-series is the head gasket, yet Lotus saw fit to use the same engine in the Elise or at least they started with them. One of the changes they made though was to add an additional water pump so that after the engine is switched off the pump continues to run for about 15 minutes to stop any chance of localised boiling which then over time leads to head failure. My thought is if it's good enough for Lotus then it's good enough for Bumble.

When we had the Audi TT I noticed they also employed the same tactic & you could hear the pump run on after switching off, which gave me an idea, from this website http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/coolant/ewp.htm it states it's a Bosch pump, the TT was a Bosch pump, you can see where I'm going with this. Joined a FB Audi sales & wants group & picked one up for £20 delivered. So made up a bracket, chopped a pipe & fitted it.

20150412_113227.jpg

20150412_113221.jpg

20150412_113209.jpg

Only issue is now remember my if it's not broken try until it is, well now the pump is fitted the heater matrix doesn't get hot unless the pump is running, problem is I don't know if that is the intended action, so for now I have just tee'd the pump into a switched live. I also need to find somebody who can make me the controller shown on the above page.

Phaeton

Staff member
So last night the idea was just to go out & put a couple of panels back on, put some anti-freeze in, run it up the road & call him finished for the weekend. However on pulling him out of the garage he wouldn't start, fire but not run. Wondered if it was petrol related so added fuel, nope, that didn't cure it, took plugs out & they appeared to be damp, so cleaned them & put them back no better. A friend was passing so I had him spray some easi-start into the manifold & lo & behold he started straight way. So let him get up to temperature, switched off & he started again, couldn't understand it. Jumped in & went to drive up the road & as soon as I dropped down the kerb it cut out, but started straight up again, so I went up the road & swung into the hammerhead & it cut out again, it felt like an electrical cut, so got out & went around the back & started moving the harness. Each time I moved it I could hear the pump priming & several relays clicking, eventually found a connector I had opened to check for Danny wasn't fully home, pushed ti fully together & all was good. A very annoying hour wasted, so I only got the panels on, hopefully get the antifreeze in tonight, looks like we may need it for this weekend, it's going to be COLD!!

As an aside, I had been toying with the idea of selling up, he just doesn't get used, he goes to Stoneleigh & then around Wales but that is about the only time I use him, I also now have a MR2 track car that needs funds, selling Bumble would probably raise enough funds to Turbo it. But a short blast around last night has changed my mind they are so much fun to drive lol

Phaeton

Staff member
I decided would be honest & inform the DVLA of the change of engine from 1275 to 1796 along with the increase in duty payable. At the beginning of April I sent off the V5C along with a covering letter to Swansea with all the information on, it got to May & I wanted put him back on the road. So not having any documents online or Post Office, I rang the DVLA to be told I could register it over the phone with him, I then told him about the engine change to which they replied that I couldn't pay the higher duty as I had to pay what the V5C said.

Move on 10 weeks & I get a letter from the DVLA refusing to change the engine number as the vehicle had been taxed at the wrong rate, honestly you couldn't make their fuckwittery up. I also have to provide them with either,

A letter from the independent garage that I bought the engine from, Fail bought private
I have to get a letter from the independent garage that carrier out the conversion, Fail I did it myself
I can get a letter from the AA, Fail not a member
I can get a letter from the RAC, Fail not a member
I can provide a letter from the Insurance company engineering that inspected the vehicle after the change, Fail they believed me.

So I have gone to the local MOT garage & asked them to write a letter stating engine, VIN & Reg No & hope that will suffice. There is another form I need to fill in & send them them the difference in VED which is going to be fun as I haven't had a cheque book for 10 years, they live so far in the past it's unreal

Phaeton

Staff member
So we have a new problem with Wales fast approaching, well approaching at the speed of time, I don't have any rear brakes, they were very very poor at the MOT & only passed on a nod & a wink that they would be sorted. So I put new calipers on the rear as one of them was weeping slightly but still got no rear brakes. Last year I found that I had clamped the driver's seat onto the braided hose feeding the rear, I presumed that the pressure on the pedal would expand the inner tube again. So I have now replaced the braided with a cunifer one & still got the same issue. Just order a repair kit for the M/C although the M/C is fairly new, hopefully that will resolve it.

Phaeton

Staff member
So having rebuild the brake system 6 times in the last 24 hours I now have what is an excuse for a pedal, it does stop me & if I stomp on around 15MPH I can lock up the fronts but they just don't fill me with confidence but they will have to do. The hydraulic light switch appears to have failed as well, so that's been replaced with a mechanical one in front of the pedal so we are good for Wales (I hope) test drive looms tomorrow.

Phaeton

Staff member
Mr Bumble is no longer unique, there is another road legal 1.8 SWB Funbuggy, we can't have that so he needs to change, 2 solutions I can think of, he's either got to go sensible & be fitted with a 1.4 16V from a 25/ZR or whatever, or go insane & have a V6 from a 75/ZT fitted. I think for experimental purposes the 1.4 has to go in & then after Wales next year I may consider the V6

Status
Not open for further replies.