Newbie... lots of questions

p0welly

Hi Guys,

I was in Betws y Coed at weekend and saw a couple of Goka 650 D's driving down the road which got me giddy as a school boy and having spent a couple of days googling I find my self here.

I'd love to get a road legal buggy but the question is where do you start.

Is 650cc enough for road use? I'm looking at 650cc because thats what I saw and have ridden 650cc bikes so that's my comparison.

Where can you use them legally, are there web site directory of places to go? or is it pretty much word of mouth, I live in Wallesey if that points anyone in the right direction.

If I was to get one I would probably be getting rid of my car (MG TF) which since moving offices I hardly use, I commute by train into the office and at weekend with the Mrs and kids we use the family car, It would be nice to be able to use it as a car for the rare occasion the Mrs need to use the family car at the same time.

So with that in mind,

What kind of top speed do you get, ie could they cruise on the motorway?

Are soft tops available for all makes or is it just a few?

and finally..

Is a 3k budget enough to get something decent?

Cheers for your help, hopefully I'll be sticking around for a while

ChaosMS

p0welly - Hello and welcome to the board!!

As for your questions - well probably your best bet is watching ebay like a hawk and keeping an eye on this forum in case anyone is selling! - I have seen the goka range but not driven one, I have friven the smaller engined ones though, as for crusing speed on a motorway I would probably be happier with something with a little more poke than a 650 (Its not like your road bikes I'm afraid), the other thing to check is the availability of spare parts, I know a local buggy company near me that refuses to sell some of the Chinese import buggys now due to terrible after sales care! and spares availability!!

If you can get your hands on a Freestyle project (or similar) your sorted and they convert very well to MGF power -Take a look at Steve2580's build thread for Mary - I've been for a spin in that one and its amazing!

It's probably worth asking if your handy with the spanners and a welder as most of the projects I think youll find are going to be non road legal and will need finishing before being put through the dreaded IVA test.

Anyway take a good look around this forum and ask questions - we are a friendly helpful bunch!

Oh and the final option - if your insane (like Me) you could build one from scratch!!!! ;D

Happy Buggying

Rich

collie

Welcome, but too many questions for my feeble brain to cope with! Not much help as in the post above :/