Over heating

robcoles

1st time out in buggy & it overheats & have to come back on AA truck.
Now smoky ....... Hope it's nothing major :(

Phaeton

Staff member
Shame but a standard buggy had trouble cooling with radiator in normal position a Turbo will run hotter

Excuse my spilling mistakes I don't csre

Radar

Rob there's a whole section on the forum on cooling these buggies ............... happy reading

Radar

Mini Mad Max

Yup, an oil cooler, upgraded radiator and an electric fan is as much as you can do with keeping the cooling in the engine bay. To eradicate the problems once and for all, a front mounted radiator seems to be the way to go!

robcoles

Cheers guys ,it's not a problem I encountered with my last two buggies.
I will find the section on forum & start reading

robcoles

Well I got home from work & decided to take a look to see what damage has been caused from overheating.
Checked oil 1st and no sign of water looking at filler cap & dipstick.
Removed filler cap from radiator and don't look like there is oil in the water so started buggy and lots of white smoke from oil filler cap and exaust ........ Ummmm could head gasket be blown without seeing the usual signs?

Also thought I'd check thermostat to see if it was opening but there wasn't one ...... Someone had removed it.

Phaeton

Staff member
Me thinks he had cooling problems before blew the gasket & forgot to mention it, so choices, take head off, get it checked, new gasket cross fingers & sort out cooling. Remove engine sell on Fleecebay as blown head gasket or forget to mention it (frowning face), replace engine with a standard 1275 gay series. Remove engine, change subframe replace with 1.1, 1.4, 1.6 or 1.8 K series so many choices.

robcoles

Phaeton":34zi41o7 said:
Me thinks he had cooling problems before blew the gasket & forgot to mention it, so choices, take head off, get it checked, new gasket cross fingers & sort out cooling. Remove engine sell on Fleecebay as blown head gasket or forget to mention it (frowning face), replace engine with a standard 1275 gay series. Remove engine, change subframe replace with 1.1, 1.4, 1.6 or 1.8 K series so many choices.

I think I will go with option one , new gasket , fingers crossed and sort out cooling.
I've booked tues & wed off so will hopefully get on with it then.
The joys of motoring lol

Danny

Administrator
yep worth dropping a message....

I solved teh rear cooling by fitting a sucky fan and also an electric fan and a couple of radiators :)

Good luck :) We will see you at stoneleigh :-0

Danny

Administrator

I solved teh rear cooling by fitting a sucky fan and also an electric fan and a couple of radiators :)

Mini Mad Max

robcoles":z3yrunb8 said:
Well I got home from work & decided to take a look to see what damage has been caused from overheating.
Checked oil 1st and no sign of water looking at filler cap & dipstick.
Removed filler cap from radiator and don't look like there is oil in the water so started buggy and lots of white smoke from oil filler cap and exaust ........ Ummmm could head gasket be blown without seeing the usual signs?

Also thought I'd check thermostat to see if it was opening but there wasn't one ...... Someone had removed it.

You need one of those thermostat blanking sleeves if you want to run the engine like it has a thermostat that's always open. I have no way to bi-pass the water when closed so I have ditched a thermostat for one of said sleeves. I did try it for a day without a thermostat at all, This apparently causes all kinds of cavitation issues as you get a big pressure drop in the thermostat housing or something :p

Max

robcoles

I've messaged the seller but as he removed the advert so was bought outside of eBay I'm not holding out much hope

robcoles

Danny":3nxucc3j said:

What is a sucky fan lol
Is there any pics on forum of your set up ?

Radar

dont worry Rob even rear mounted rads such as yours can be made to run reasonably normal with the various measures listed in the cooling section of the forum I myself had the very same issue as you when I picked up my Buggy from Bristol and had to drive it to Newcstle upon tyne with an overnight stay near chester read all about it on the forum under my name

Its a hassle but fixable with a bit of effort

Radar

Danny

Administrator
Mg midget fan I think it was :) that sucks through the radiator and then with a fan on the other side pushing it the same way it stays coool :)

Minis were set up to blow air through the rad and out the wing but buggies have very little air flow round the rad and so this just does not work....

The mechanical did all the hard work at high revs while the eleccy fan kept it cool in traffic

robcoles

So is the mechanical fan a blow or suck ...... If I was to leave that fan as is and put electric fan on outside of rad what would I look at getting & can they be purchased off the shelf or do I need to buy on line?
Or would it be better to put electric fan both sides and do away with mechanical fan.

Phaeton

Staff member
The standard Mini fan pushes the air from around the engine through the radiator to the outside of the buggy, what Danny was suggesting is getting a Midget fan which pulls the air from the outside of the buggy into the engine bay, then supplementary adding an electric fan on the outside of the radiator which then pushes the air through the radiator into the engine bay as well.

When I had Mary I tried all sorts of things to try to keep her cool, I tried pushing, pulling, mechanical, electrical, scopes, it all boiled (no pun intended) down to being able to keep it reasonably cool when running but as soon as you got to a junction or slow traffic it would get too hot, hence why I went with a front mounted radiator.

However Steve has a 'normal' set-up standard Mini radiator along with a standard Mini push fan, all he has is a Metro electric fan on the outside which helps pull the air through when he's pushing on or slowing down at junctions. It is one of these, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-Metro-1 ... 540a0c7e4f I have 2 sat in the workshop if you want 1/2 sending for postage cost.