Petrol Tank

Phaeton

Staff member
Kevin,

Currently out of the country but back shortly, if nobody has answered you before the weekend ask again & I'll send you some pictures mine is not currently in the buggy.

But if you search the projects there are some pictures of Max's I think it is being put inside a aluminium firewall

Alan...

Danny

Administrator
I cant really because mine is hidden in the dark depths and covered behind my seats sorry :-(

Essex Boy

Thanks Alan
will try to fine Max's photo's. I will be grateful for any old photos you have as well

Cheers, Kevin

Phaeton

Staff member
IMAG0279.jpg

IMAG0280.jpg

IMAG0281.jpg

IMAG0282.jpg

IMAG0283.jpg

swerv

Looks a good tank, is it OK for the iva/sva, I take it you just had to put a steel plate between your self and the tank. Any more info on what you would have to do to make it road legal would be good, as at the moment I have a 2 gallon fire extinguisher so wouldn't have a very good range on the road. Thanks for any help..

Phaeton

Staff member
That buggy went through the SVA not the IVA they weren't as strict in those days, some say Brussels tightened the rules as virtually no other country has a kit car industry, what is a joke is all them damn motorbikes running around with a fuel tank near their engine :)

I did have a new one made in aluminium but you would have to encase it in an outer skin Something like this or a Half tank This last one has gone through an IVA so we KNOW it's acceptable.

ChaosMS

Yeah as Alan says the rule is the tank cannot be in the passenger or engine compartment - so you will need to ensure there is a firewall between the tank and the passenger compartment and also one between the tank and engine bay, do that and leave it open underneath so it can drain to the floor in the event of a leak and you will be fine! (this is what i did and granted mine is not a freestyle but the tank is mounted directly behind the seats in the same way and it passed the IVA without any issues)

Rich

swerv

Thanks for the advice Alan and Rich that all makes life easier and quite straightforward. Thanks