Phaeton Robin Hood 2B4 Discussion Thread

Phaeton

Staff member
I don't think fitting the engine is an issue, with hopefully leaving the gearbox exactly where it is so prop & mounts work, the issue appears to be getting the bell housing now, searched a couple of times but no recent ones have come up.

250buggys

If I am after something on eBay I put in a saved search and when the item is listed you get a notification, you could try that.

Phaeton

Staff member
Well things may have taken a strange turn, so the RH might just be getting engine running, MOT & up for sale, not too many details just yet, but an IVA might be involved & if we get silly a 4.0L V8 but I don't think that bit will happen.

250buggys

Alan did you ever go and look at that bike engined 7 up my way?

V8. petrol is on the rise! ???

I think small engine turbos are the way to go like the eco boost, my 2.5l turbo co2s hit you in the wallet!

I wonder what the duty is on the V8?

Phaeton

Staff member
250buggys":2a8qbbi3 said:
Alan did you ever go and look at that bike engined 7 up my way?
No decided it was too far, no reverse gear, not registered, as I tried to tick the boxes it just didn't stack up, as to the V8 it's only £265ish, same as anything over 1.6L it's a 1998 engine so gets rated on that. But I don't think it would happen anyway not for the road, it's currently destined to be fitted to my son's 1996/7/8? BMW E36 3 Series. We've just got to decide can we get it running on the wiring loom we've pulled out or is he going to have to shell out for an ECU

250buggys

2.0 gets my vote, there are too many reasons why you should fit the bigger engine.

Most important it creates a new build thread for us to enjoy. :)

2 litre Zetec engines are at give away prices, you can have one delivered to your door on a pallet for little more than the shipping cost.

You will always want more power in the long run

It fits under the bonnet, it's the logical upgrade

Did I mention they are cheap. ;D

It will add a heap of value with a bigger engine.

150 with a kit spares plenum or easily 170 with throttle bodies, there are so many upgrades for Zetecs.

Also they are cheap ;D

Phaeton

Staff member
I noticed the word Cheap, Chris, but where? I'm looking at full cars, am I doing it wrong, I figured then I would have everything, unless your cheap is different to my cheap which is quite possible

250buggys

Alan, when I was working on my ST170 engine I managed to break off the yellow plastic part of the dip stick, I looked at the holder tube and that was pretty rusty and the O ring was past its best. I priced them all up and those parts are well over £60, even second hand they don't go for much less than that. I have seen whole engines go unsold for less than that.

I'll keep an eye out for you, eBay goes through phases of all or nothing for sale usually, that's why it's best to go for a saved search.

Scrap yards usually give you 30 days warranty but in the kit car world that is usually just design time rather than installed and tested.

250buggys

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Zetec-2 ... Swk-BfRkrd

This is what you are after but definitely worth taking from a running car before someone has had their mits all over it.

I had a custom search something like mk1 focus mk2 mondeo 2.0 petrol engine and the scrap yards were full of them. I get bored of trawling through eBay, set up some custom searches and just keep an eye on your emails.

I can let you know what clutch, flywheel and starter part numbers I went with, you could also put the vernier cam pulleys on also for tuning.

Danny

Administrator
250buggys":85eweeuo said:
2.0 gets my vote, there are too many reasons why you should fit the bigger engine.

Most important it creates a new build thread for us to enjoy. :)

2 litre Zetec engines are at give away prices, you can have one delivered to your door on a pallet for little more than the shipping cost.

You will always want more power in the long run

It fits under the bonnet, it's the logical upgrade

Did I mention they are cheap. ;D

It will add a heap of value with a bigger engine.

150 with a kit spares plenum or easily 170 with throttle bodies, there are so many upgrades for Zetecs.

Also they are cheap ;D

Thats actually not the case anymore...

ford stopped supplying 1800 and 2000 engines. I tried to buy brand new for the mojo.... which is why i went down the donor route.

Phaeton

Staff member
Think he charges by the hour plus any parts & consumable, at £65+vodka, he's a good lad, knows his stuff, he's moved onto injection stuff mainly now, but likes to play with old school carbs etc. Think he's well thought of in the MX5 scene, bit far for you to come though. On the other hand when my lad had his Skyline he used to take his to a guy who had hub dyno's he used to charge £350 but that was for a full half/full day mapping session.

Danny

Administrator
who knows.

Maybe they have a fair bit of stock for themselves or are rebuilding all the knackered ones?

I tried buying brand new from all sorts of suppliers and nobody could get one.