Potential Buggy Build?

Bansh3e

Well guys... I am new to the whole buggy thing and was talking with some friends about potentially building a buggy type thing. I have an Isuzu Trooper for the scrap but it runs. It has a 3.1 Turbo diesel engine in it so it would be a monster. Is this going to be suitable for a buggy with weight and stuff, could even the other end up perhaps. Was going to try and use the Isuzus gear box aswell. We were going to try and make the frame from scratch because one of us can weld but im wondering if this is actually all possible? or is this just a dream?

Thanks

Phaeton

Staff member
Sorry about missing this, I read it & thought must reply later & forgot Doh!

Welcome to the club, as with anything, anything is possible, given enough time, money & facilities. It also depends what you want to do with it? Do you want to make it road legal, will it just be trailered to purpose built off-road tracks or do you have some fields to play in. You can spend an awful lot of money on something which ends up not doing what you want, or you could sell the engine/gearbox as spares buy a Vitara which has a proven record.

OR you could stitch together a ladder frame, hang the Trooper suspension, engine, gearbox & have an awesome machine.

Alan...

Bansh3e

Thanks very much for the reply.

Basically, I have a good bit of land to play on, grass and sand. Can you explain more about this ladder frame that you were talking about.

Thanks

Phaeton

Staff member
Firstly this is all theoretically I have no specific knowledge as it's beyond anything I have done. Do you know if the Trooper is monocoque or chassis & body? If monocoque then you are starting from scratch, but if chassis & body then you're on your way.

My only experience is 2nd hand with Vitara's they have a chassis & body, with them the body id held on with 8 bolts, to remove the body you simply undo the 8 bolts, undo the steering joint, disconnect the brakes to M/C some wiring & lift away. Once you've done that you are left with a rolling chassis which you can do with as you please.

A ladder frame would be some 2x long lengths of box section steel that had some cross members in hence ladder. You would have to make mountings for all the suspension, engine, gearbox etc.

This gives you an idea of what to do http://www.shropshire-suzuki.co.uk/foru ... at#p116428

Alan...

BRUC3

If its just for off road, why not just cut the body off, weld in a few roll bars and off ya go!!! lol

Is there any reason you want to build a buggy? Couldnt you just use the Trooper as it is for off road shits and giggles?

If it were me, I'd buy a cheap trailer with the money your gonna spend on materials, get some 2nd hand off road tyres and take it green laning as it is! lol

Bansh3e

The reason I wanted to make a buggy is because the body of the Isuzu is pretty rotten and rusty, im not sure about the actual chassis, axles and that are as bad as other parts but i'll check. What would the trailer be for?

Bansh3e

Also I have an old van sitting around thats for scrap, an old jeep, and an old Polo so I'm sure I could make something but I am quite keen on the isuzus big engine in something

BRUC3

To take the non road legal Trooper green laning!

If your only using it around the farm does it matter if its rusty? lol

Sorry if I sound ubrupt, I dont mean to... just confused as to why you dont just hoon around in the trooper or jeep?! lol

Bansh3e

Because the trooper has been sitting around for ages its got no use anymore because its not capable of towing because some of the chassis and I don't use it off road because I don't feel comfortable rallying it about in the state it's in. although i would be comfortable taking the whole body off and using it as a buggy if a roll cage was put on like someone suggested. Would be a beast.

Danny

Administrator
I think if you go greenlaning the vehicle has to be road legal... because a green lane is just an un tarmacked road.... Also green lanes are getting few and far between because of pikeys :)