Powder coating

Do I Powder coat chassis or paint it with car paint?

• Powder Coated

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Painted

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Danny

Administrator
So I have made my decision on what to do,

shot blast chasis make the neccesary mods then come painting....

Do I paint it?

Or powder coat it?

I am struggling to find a powder coaters that will do it

Also I was not planning on using hammerite type paint I was thinking like a 2 pac car sort of paint makes it easy to repair stone chips ect

So the decision lies with the forum

Danny

Phaeton

Staff member
Will the chassis be complete or will you want to make an further modifications to it in the future, I 'think' that is the key.

Alan...

iank

I've voted painted mainly as that's what I went for :D

My reasoning is powdercoat if it starts flaking tends to come off in sheets and is pretty much impossible to repair when it does. If the car is going off road much, staying out in the rain or (as Alan rightly says) you may fancy modifying it in the future paint wins as it's repairable.

Having said that brush painting a spaceframe is a tedious awkward job that takes forever. Spraying wastes endless paint.

The paint I've used is POR15 undercoat (which is pretty much indestructible apparently) and I've just bought a tin of NATO green satin for the top :twisted:

2 pack car paint is also very good, but needs to be professionally sprayed as it gives off cyanide compounds and can kill you if you try at home.

Danny

Administrator
my local paint shop said they would paint it ect.... he is also a friend so all is not lost...lol

BUt am still not 100% decided.

At least My engine problem is sorted .... cheers Alan

Danny

powder coat looks the biz on these cars that don't see the rain and sit in shows getting polished. i guess when you rebuild, the buggy will be driven hard until it's nuts fall off. therefore i think the answer for you is deffo the thicker types of paint - like 2 pack. if you get a good painter and the mix is right, the paint can be as hard as nails so you wont need to worry about the stone chips.