Questions

oneandoneis2

Hi all,

after an eventful few years out of normal employment (Transylvania's a fun place to visit) I'm back to a 9-5 job again. Which means I have enough of an income to think about buying a Freestyle. So I have a few questions!

• I'm 6'4" and the buggy's aren't exactly huge. Will I fit?
  • How long does it take to build one? I'd like to be up and running before my clapped-out Fiesta loses its battle with rust...
  • What's needed in the way of tools?
  • I have a single-car garage available, can I build it in here or do I need to look at renting something with more space?
  • Do people recommend buying a donor car, or just buying the bits? Again, I'm thinking of the amount of space available...
  • Is there anyone in West Sussex who has a Freestyle who wouldn't mind showing it off? I'd like to make sure I can fit and I have a housemate who might take some convincing before she lets me use the garage  :)

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Dominic

hmalan

I'm 5 10 so I don't know about fitting in, but as there is actually no roof you should be ok

Time to build really is dependant upon the individual, how fast you work, and how much time you can actually devote to the build, nights and weekends, just weekends, etc.

Single garage is fine, that's were I built mine

Donor or parts, I bought a donor and then ended up buying loads of new parts anyway, so personally I would go for separate parts, but I am sure others will have a different point of view

Cannot help with the location as I am in Yorkshire

All the best if you decide to go ahead

Phaeton

Staff member
oneandoneis2":1bz2kmj3 said:
after an eventful few years out of normal employment (Transylvania's a fun place to visit) I'm back to a 9-5 job again. Which means I have enough of an income to think about buying a Freestyle. So I have a few questions!

Hi there Dominic so you've been appearing in the Rocky Horror Show for a couple of years & now want a Freestyle, bit bizarre on both accounts  ;D

• I'm 6'4" and the buggy's aren't exactly huge. Will I fit?
Danny on here is also 6'4" & fits, I'll be honest I don't know how, I manage about 5'11" on a good day & I think it's tight, but it could be the leg/body ratio.

• How long does it take to build one? I'd like to be up and running before my clapped-out Fiesta loses its battle with rust...

How long is a piece of string? My 2nd one was just a rolling chassis & I got it through SVA within 6 months over winter outside, Dave (who used to make the chassis's) claims to have build one from scratch in 9 days. Others some who shall remain nameless are still building after several years.

• What's needed in the way of tools?

Back to piece of string again I'm afraid, you definitely need basic spanners & sockets, a friendly hammer, but if you want to add your own touches access to a Mig welder helps.

• I have a single-car garage available, can I build it in here or do I need to look at renting something with more space?

Mine lives & was built outside on the front driveway, much to the annoyance of the neighbours sometimes. But a single garage is ample, I wish I had one  :(

• Do people recommend buying a donor car, or just buying the bits? Again, I'm thinking of the amount of space available...

I always say YES to this as it helps with the pencil pushers at the DVLA when you come to register it. There are also lots of little bits you need that come with a full car that you will spend ages trying to find 2nd hand. You don;t need much space really, you can destroy a Mini over a weekend & get the shell taken away in the week.

• Is there anyone in West Sussex who has a Freestyle who wouldn't mind showing it off? I'd like to make sure I can fit and I have a housemate who might take some convincing before she lets me use the garage  :)
[/list]

Have a look on the member map, Jason_L is probably the closest, his is a little different, but the tub is just about the same. Other alternative is to get yourself up to Stoneleigh over the May BH.

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Dominic

Just keep asking Dom, we'll help as much as we ca.

The chassis's aren't being built anymore, but there are a few 2nd hand ones around, there was an advert a couple of weeks ago, a full rolling chassis for £500, I'd bit his hand off if I had some space & of course money.

Alan...

jason_l

Phaeton":d7vmiyr5 said:
Have a look on the member map, Jason_L is probably the closest, his is a little different, but the tub is just about the same. Other alternative is to get yourself up to Stoneleigh over the May BH.

That i am probably about the closest meber too you Dominic. Im in Southampton, however my Freestyle is kept with a company in Basingstoke so just over the border probably?

Your welcome to pop over and have a gander but im not too sure how much it will benefit you? Its COMPLETELY different to the other ones on the forum. Its currently a long way off being built and useable but i have seats (not fixed down) and the main passenger compartment isn't modified.......YET!!!! so you could at the least have a chat about them and sit in it to see what leg room etc is like.

As Pheaton has said, your only option currently (and more than likely ever!!!) is to buy a part built version. This will at least mean that the cost will be slightly less and someone may have done some of the work for you.

I would defo reccomend getting a Donor vehicle as well, even if its a complete shed and nothing gets used from it other than a few bolts. This means you will have the all important V5c when it comes to registering it, but its not essential and it can be built from parts and no donor!

Let me know if you want to look at it, like i say its a bit different! If you look at 'Freestyle GT' in the build diary section you will see what i mean.

Jason :D

oneandoneis2

Hey, I did say it had been an eventful couple of years!  :)

I didn't realise the chassis was no longer being made - what happened??

I've got a friend who built a Quantum a while ago who has every tool imaginable (plus MIG), so I'm not too worried about the occasional use of something exotic.. fairly sure between my own stuff and an occasional borrow I could get things done. So I guess the big worry now is finding a chassis in the first place!

The GT Freestyle sounds... exciting! :) What kind of power to weight is that thing going to have??

jason_l

oneandoneis2":399sg8s0 said:
Hey, I did say it had been an eventful couple of years!  :)

I didn't realise the chassis was no longer being made - what happened??

I've got a friend who built a Quantum a while ago who has every tool imaginable (plus MIG), so I'm not too worried about the occasional use of something exotic.. fairly sure between my own stuff and an occasional borrow I could get things done. So I guess the big worry now is finding a chassis in the first place!

The GT Freestyle sounds... exciting! :) What kind of power to weight is that thing going to have??

Its a long storey why the chassis isn't being made but lets just say that Dave Smart owns the rights to the design and he doesn't have the time or drive to make any at current and i can't see it happening for a while if ever!!!!! People still want them but Dave just doesn't seem to have the time, there could be more to the storey but only Dave knows the details! Its a shame becasue Dave seems like a good guy but maybe one day they may be back in production?

Aim for the Freestyle GT is 400bhp per Ton but i don't know if i will quite get there. The freestyle chassis is very short and doesn't like huge BHP so mine has been extended and widened to help take the extra juice!

As i said your welcome to view it. :D

Jason :)

Mini Mad Max

Hi dominic and welcome!
The thing with the kit was that Dave Smart was putting in a lot of effort and not making a huge return, then he got a job offer elsewhere which offered more. He still owns the company so no one really knows if he will return to making buggies again some time or if he'll want to sell the company on. If you can get hold of him... you must work miracles!

I'm 6ft2" and i'm only 15! My dad is 6ft5" and my brother 6ft6.5" and it's rather tight in my buggy with fibreglass seats, although height wise we're fine because we've made a frame modification.
Time it takes for a build... pfffff well mine's taking forever because of lack of money, obsession to get things perfect first time and other hobbies and school work. But the more i work on it the more i get interested!

These buggies are so modifiable so aslong as you have the money time and tools you can use itr as a template for a lot of oppertunities!

You must come along to stoneleigh kit car show so you can sit in and take rides in buggies! We should have a good turn out this year!
Max

oneandoneis2

Thanks Jason, I may well take you up on that offer!

I'm definitely hoping to make it to Stoneleigh, it's been a few years since I did a kitcar show and at the time it was a strict "Look don't touch" as there was no way I could build one. Now is a happier time  and I want one ;)

Shame the Freestyle's gone out of production, I'll certainly keep an eye out for the part-builds. In the meantime, is there any opinion about the NCF Blitz 2? Google turned it up as a similar sort of buggy & it looks like a reasonable substitute on paper (Well, screen)

Incidentally, has anyone yet managed to get one of these buggies through the IVA? Seems the petrol tank could be a bit of a headache from what I can tell, in such open-plan vehicles?

Asbo

hi sir. as alan says previously,it may be a leg;body ratio issue,but im 6'2" and fit in mine ok with room to spare. (fibreglass seats mounted as far back as poss.) however,i do have a mate who,at 20 stone and quite em chubby, cant fit in due to his bulk,and seat choice deffo doesnt suit him.