Rain, rain it POURED !

Radar

Hi folks,
got caught out yesterday in an ALMIGHTY thunderstorm I could see it coming and pushed my luck I was at the local Halfords about 5 miles from home thought it would pass or miss altogether ...wrong ! no helmet with me just in shorts T shirt and my crocs ..not even a bridge to hide under so I ran for home , it rained so heavily that I could not see thru my sunglasses and spray was immense so pulled onto pavement and sort shelter in a bus-stop absolutely drenched through to the bone the buggy had no cover what ever and began to fill with water lol fortunately after 10 mins worst was over I was soaked the buggy had an inch of water in both footwells that did not drain easily at all so drove home 3 miles with sloshing water at my feet and under my ar**.  Had to say apart from non functioning indicators the next day which I fixed in 5 mins the car is ok will drill a couple of 6 mill drainage holes for future and also will always carry a tarp behind the seat in future to help if I ever get caught out again ..in fact was thinking of fixing tarp /car cover in a rolled up fashion permanently to roof bars so that when parked overnight outside or in a rain storm just pull over and remove ties and roll down the 4 sides of vehicle to protect from the worst of weather..

better than getting caught out again ..anyone had any similar weather disasters ??

Radar

Phaeton

Staff member
Radar":22dq0bm2 said:
better than getting caught out again ..anyone had any similar weather disasters ??
Radar
Oh yes, been caught in a few, you might find 6mm ones aren't big enough, I had to increase mine to 10mm.

Alan...

Asbo

i've got a mate looking into doing what looks like a convertible top with no windows,just for the rainy season. (sept-april here) ::)

*made from black seam-welded vynil stuff,fixed with short bungee type cords,will post more as i hear from him

esdebe

Be carefull where you drill the drain holes, especially with the old style pedal setup  and make sure you shove a ruber gromit in them for MOT as they may fail it saying it has rusted through....

iank

wulliecosse":3umgx54c said:
i've got a mate looking into doing what looks like a convertible top with no windows,just for the rainy season. (sept-april here) ::)

*made from black seam-welded vynil stuff,fixed with short bungee type cords,will post more as i hear from him

You mean something like a bikini top (as the american's call them), also sometimes called a flintstones hood over here.

http://www.johncraddock-trim.co.uk/90-1 ... 237-0.html

and

wpb4f09131_1b.jpg

and

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.osborne42/extras.htm

Angel Boy

I've got one of them fitted to my Hood.  Have a look at the picture in this thread Clicky.  The boys and girls over on the RHOCAR forum call them Surrey Tops.  Not sure why.

Andy

Phaeton

Staff member
Presumably named after the horse drawn carriage of the same name, that had a small cover over the roof.

Alan...

collie

Phaeton":3p2me5mi said:
Presumably named after the horse drawn carriage of the same name, that had a small cover over the roof.

Alan...
Ahh, so you can remember the good old days before then Engine thingamebobs eh Alan?  :D :p

Angel Boy

collie":uekyb3ey said:
Phaeton":uekyb3ey said:

Alan...
Ahh, so you can remember the good old days before then Engine thingamebobs eh Alan?  :D :p

Snigger  :-X

JAMIE B.

Huh, I had the same yesterday, torrential rain, thunder and lightning, roads with mud rivers and still ten miles from home! Fu**in drenched, major clean up operation for the buggy this weekend. Found a new use for the wet and dry hoover though ! ;D

Phaeton

Staff member
collie":1n6jnwgf said:
Phaeton":1n6jnwgf said:

Alan...

Cuse me, what's this pick on Alan week? You have a go for me being old, Simon says I'm fat, I can start deleting posts you know!!!

Alan...

Steve

I had the same thing once where I was caught out in the rain, Luck had it that I was with my brother and in his car he had a seat cover which I borrowed as a temporary measure.
It happened to be the perfect size (Torneau style?) and you may have seen me use it at the shows.
Needless to say he never got it back.
I have seen them this week again in ALDI price £4.99 (Black or Blue) marked up as Dog cover / Boot tidy.
Does the trick at the right price.
I have 3 just in case!!!!!!

Danny

Administrator
lol caught out??? If you count our 2 week trip to poland caught out then yes!! Every single day soaked to the bone!!

Some days I felt like I was drowning in my helmet aweful!!

If anybody has aquaplaned in their freestyle yet you will agree it is the most scariest moment of your life!!! I swapped lanes on the motorway from outside lane to the hard shoulder and almost had to do a turn the buggy in the right direction...... fecking scary!!

I hate the rain........ white lines are interesting especially when you are trying brake

Ok OK I drive my buggy hard and always on the limit man I misss it this year!!

Danny