Rear steering lockout

vexedben

Hi guys, not been on here for a few weeks as I'm a uni and can't get much done on the buggy. However having looked at the solution that the freestyle uses to lockout the rear steering I've been getting more inclined to go down a similar route. I was whether no one would be able to give me some measurements for the plates that bolt to the subframe as clearly the geometry and the position of the arm that locks the steering is important. If anyone could spare a few minutes to do this for me I would be extremely grateful as it will mean I can then set about getting the buggy on its way to being more finished.

Many Thanks guys,

Ben

Buggybloke

Good luck with that one!,... I asked this question some time ago, as I wanted to update the flimsy 'steering-rack inner' arrangement currently on my Blitz2, virtually no answers,... I'm assuming that the tie bar/track adjustment bar needs to be of a similar angle and length as the original track rods, but thicker, and anchored securely with a rose joint on its inner-most end on the subframe. It goes without saying, the rear track must be SPOT-ON, left vs right, or you will chew your rear tyres up, 1-1.5 degrees 'toe out', (toe being the leading edge of the tyres), as under power, the wheels tend towards a 'toe in' position, not so important if only using on the dirt, but imperative on Tarmac.

vexedben

I just looked at fitting the inner rack and took one look and was like, that's just not going to last and take the punishment of being driven off road. If not I'm just going to have to go out on a limb and get my mate to make something. Just thought using an existing design that worked would be better.

Mini Mad Max

I might trek out to my garage and try and get a snap for you guys! That said, I could see why someone would take a while to reply, sarcastic comments aren't exactly encouraging.

Ben I can get you some measurements too.... They are quite simple brackets and use the top and bottom arm holes to mount to. There is also another hole, but that has to be drilled into the subframe. Then there are the steering arms themselves, I am using a pair of on car adjustable arms made by Alan (Phaeton) with some rose joints and then the track rod end. In fact there might be info about them and piccies on the forum. I'll do some digging for them before i go out to the garage and get a snap of mine. Might save me a journey in the icey cold fog! :p

Max

Buggybloke

My reply wasn't meant to be sarcastic, as I'm aware it's not very encouraging, but then again neither is 'no answer', which is what I received originally, a year or so ago, when I 1st posed the question, not so much as a 'I'll look in my garage tonight, when I get home', or an 'I'll look in my old build manual for the measurements'....
Surely someone see's my point?

Lilspeed

Apologies Ben.

It completely slipped my mind. In my defence I have had other things on my mind over the weekend like preparing to start my new job today.

Max, if you could do the honours that'd be great. If not, I will be heading out to the workshop on Wed eve so will PROMISE to sort it out then.

Justin

vexedben

Cheers max and lilspeed. Lilspeed, don't worry I understand I'm in no rush but I'm at uni atm so might be able to get them made up before Xmas :) might as well make use of facilities. Hope the job is going well :)

Max, thank you Thai would be brilliant if you could. I've found the post from Alan that describes how to make the arms to lock it out which I think I will be able to get built at uni too. Could just do with some measurements to make sure the geometry is correct for the arm to move up and down and make sure it will all work :)

Cheers guys,
Ben

Mini Mad Max

Ahh sweet! What course, which uni? I am in the process of Ucas applications at the minute.
I might be able to draw you the brackets on 2D design so you could get them cut out by a machine. I'll get some dimensions of the arms too!
I didn't manage to get the pictures tonight, as i went to a fire works display and only just got in now! Definite slacking i know. I ought to be spending every waking minute i have spare on the buggy before i go to uni next year and it's no longer near by :p I hope you can crack on with yours when you're home too!
Max

vexedben

I'm at Sheffield uni doing mechanical engineering. Hoping to get myself into Motorsport when I'm done.

Don't worry max, if you could do me a 2d cad drawing that would be brilliant as I think the engineering workshop guys seem to prefer 2d to the 3d stuff.

If not don't worry, just a few dimensions and I'm sure I can rustle up a drawing :)

Ben

Mini Mad Max

Nice! I'm applying to do a Bsc in product design (the more technical one not the arty farty one). I might end up in sheffield too.. Applying to hallam. They have lots of nice cad cam machines! Custom parts here i come ;)

As for dimensions and drawings, the drawing should be super simple to do even if you only end up using it as a reference for measurements! Might be able to do it tomorow evening. Busy again thisevening! Hope thats okay!
Max

vexedben

Nice that sounds pretty cool. You'll probably use a lot more cad/cam than I've used in three years. Haha. No worries max that's cool with me, just whenever you have a spare few minutes :)

Ben

Lilspeed

IMAG0333.jpg

IMAG0330.jpg

IMAG0327.jpg

Not the best pics as my exhaust is currently tack welded in the way! But I think you can get the idea.

I measured 655mm between the centres of the pivot points of the track arms, and they are around 75 mm up from the centre of the lower arm pivot.

Hope that helps.

vexedben

Thanks Justin that's perfect. Gives me something to get my head around instead of uni work :)

Max if you could do me a rough 2d cad that would be perfect then I can set about asking the workshop guys :)

Ben

Mini Mad Max

Got the many measurements i needed... Its shape was more complex than i remember :p I shall hopefully draw it up tonight for you, but i have some visitors coming by in a bit so could be tomorrow instead.
Max