Registering your Beauty

Phaeton

Staff member
Well, as some of you will know my retest is tomorrow, obviously hoping that she will pass so I can get her registered & out on the road. Local office is Sheffield 25 miles away, but didn't know if I can just turn up & register her or if I had to make an appointment. So not being able to phone them directly I phone the chicken helpline & got through to a pleasent young hen. Explain I was just wanting information as to what I needed to do to get the car registered. She explained I needed to complete a V55/5 for which there was a fee of £38. I would also need to complete a V627/1 Built Up Vehicle Inspection Report, the SVA document the MAC (Ministers Approval Cetificate) & wait for it an MOT certificate!!!!!!!!!!!!! I politley told her I thought she was wrong & that a MOT was not required as a SVA was being done, her reponse was I still needed one as they tested for different things, SVA was enviromental & safety, MOT was mechanical. Conversation ended.

I rang Dave (funbuggydave) to ask & to be fair he wasn't a great deal of help, not because he didn't want to be, but because it seems it's a bit grey & down to each DVLA district to come up with their own rules. He has heard of people not requiring MOT's to get registered, people requiring MOT's to get registered & in one case someboy who had to get an MOT before they could SVA it.

So next port of call was Simon (esdebe) to ask how he got on last year, he didn't have to get it MOT'd to be registered but they did put down the year of manufacture as 1988, but he has since had this amended to 2006. On the front of his V5C it explains it is a vehicle that was first manufactured in 1988 but registered in 2006. Think that's right but I'm sure he'll be along in a minute to correct me. This is in fact similiar to my Toyota Surf which was manufactured in 1993 but first registered in the UK in 2006. However he has recieved a letter from DVLA stating that he must have it MOT'd this year.

So when I got home I've been surfing the t'internet trying to get a definative answer & the long & short seems there isn't one. I came across a good artical on Total Kit Car about how to do it, also several posts on Lowcostbuilders but I'm still not convinced. On there they are adamant that you do not need one & that once registered you will not need an MOT for 3 years. So the plan is to take it to SVA tomorrow, not driving but towing on dolly, then assumption it passes back up the M1 to Sheffield & straight into DVLA with all the papers & cash to see what they say.

Alan...

toyotacat1

Hi
Personally i would recomend an mot before sva that way you know it's road worthy for sure thats what i did with mine first time it failed on emissions and the chassis number had to stamped into the chassis not on a plate rivited to the chassis! second time through it flew through with no problems all they do on the mot cert is write the chassis number no reg number needed and i found that the mot was more stressful than the sva after all as the mot bloke checked loads more stuff than the sva bloke things like wheel bearings suspension movement/play etc general mot stuff really then for sva i covered every edge that looked touchable with a tennis ball with trim etc and took loads of tape,zip ties, rags,hose pipe & trim etc with me and it nearly flew through a couple of small adjustments on the handbrake and bits of trim was all that was needed then he said the spare wheel needs to be covered "bugger" i thought sent the mrs down local 4x4 dealership they would'nt sell her a cover reconded they did'nt have any then the sva bloke said i'm not supposed to suggest anything and it's up to you what you do when you leave here and drive round the corner but the wheel really should be covered thats a nice jacket your wearing (leather jacket) so with that off came my jacket and wrapped it round the spare held in place with zip ties he then checked the hand brake walked round the buggy and said well done it's passed. :D

Lee

jerry

Hi,

If the kit has been made up from parts or a doner vehicle then you will need an mot certificate before going to regester it( it will get "non-displayed"in the reg no. bit). If the kit has been built from all new components(one item is allowed to be reconditioned) and you have the reciepts to prove it, then you do not have to mot it, as it will be classed as a new vehicle so it will not need an mot for three years.

If in any doubt, just get an mot for ease of mind.

when the vehicle gets a registration number the mot cirtificate will have the new reg no stamped on to it.

Best of luck with the re-test. dont give up if it fails again- my gt40 took three atempts to pass, but worth it in the end.

Jerry

Danny

Administrator
Well My buggy got age related and the V5 said New so I did not need MOT for 3 years.

DVLA dont know their arse from their elbow.... the rows I used to have on the phone!

Danny

esdebe

I think the Electronic MOT and on line TAX system is making it even more straight forward but depends on teh DVLA registering the car correctly... When I registred mine they screwed up the date of registration when I asked them to correct it they corrected the wrong date (one on their records but not on the V5C) So I got it changed again but I don't know what impact all these changes made, just that when it came to TAXing it it was asking for an MOT this year, I wasn't sure if this was just because the TAX renewal form was a standerd form or not so I looked to TAX it online only to be told that it needed to have an MOT to do this, where as my Clio which I also TAXed online didn't need an MOT as it was less than 3 years old....

Phaeton

Staff member
Went off to Sheffield DVLA this afternoon to register the buggy. Got there & started to fill in the V55/5 (downloaded & already filled in the V627/1). Young lady asked if she could check the forms, they have several clerks checking paperwork before you get to the counter at busy times. On seeing what it was she said she hadn't had training on this form & could she take all the paperwork into the back to let somebody else have a look at it & to go to the counter when my number was called. Waited 10 minutes or so for my number to be called & duly went to the counter, explained that my paperwork was already inside the office & then this young lady went off to look for it. She came back 5 minutes later saying everything was in order, I would get an age related plate 99% chance it would be the one from the donor, unfortunatly it will take up to 5 days as the inspector has to go through it but they couldn't see any problems. I didn't have to pay a registration fee as that had already been paid when the car was first registered so all the cost was £63.75. I came away thinking this was all too easy, we'll just have to wait & see if I'm right.

Alan...

esdebe

Not heard that before... If you keep the same registation number then the date of registration will end up as the donors one too.... This will probably be a date before teh kit was even designed....

Danny

Administrator
mines on a 79 plate they wouldnt let me keep my original plate, mine was sentimental value.

danny

Phaeton

Staff member
"Phaeton"":3vam8kpa said:
I came away thinking this was all too easy, we'll just have to wait & see if I'm right.Alan...

They said wait 5 days so I did, 5 days was up today, so I went in today as I had heard nothing. Arrived at 1:00pm my ticket said 7 people in front of me & the wait would be 12 minutes. At 1:30pm they called my number, so I went to the counter to explain I had waited 5 days, gave her the reg no of the donor. Off she went & came back 5 minutes later all apologetic that the paperwork had been missed filed & had been placed with the import team & not the inspection team & nothing had been done. As you can imagine I was not best pleased, She then went on to say that the inspector will need to examine the car & could they come put next Friday the 13th. I said that this was not acceptable, she offered to ask a supervisor to see me, to which I replied if that's what it will take to get it sorted. Off she went again supervisor obviously didn't want to come talk to me, but the offer was made that if I could bring the car to them it would be quicker. I said that I could have it there by 3:00pm which she thought they wouldn't accept as they were thinking next week. I actually felt sorry for the young lady she was just caught up in the middle. They came back via her that if I got it there for 3:30pm then they would have a look at it & process the paperwork tomorrow, at this time a young guy came back with her who at the time I thought might be the inspector. My response was I'll see you at 3:30pm & I'll wait for the documents to be sorted, he wouldn't commit to being able to do it today.

Anyway, off I went, took me 45 minutes to get home the traffic was terrible. Luckily I hadn't taken the dolly back to my mates, so I loaded the buggy up & went back to the DVLA. Now I don't know what other DVLA's are like but there is absolutely nowhere to park, there is a carpark but you can only get 10 cars at the most in there. I wouldn't have been able to get in there anyway with the dolly as you can't reverse with them. So I parked on the double yellows across the road, went in & straight up to the counter much to a few peoples annoyance. I spoke to the young lady again & after she had finished with her current customer went off to tell them I was here. 5 minutes later 3 of them came out, I asked what they wanted to see & they said they just wanted to look at the car, could I show them the engine serial number which I did & they all had a go at reading it. They than asked had any of the suspension parts got any serial numbers, obvious reply was no, Mini's don't have serial numbers on suspension parts.

At this point I was told that I couldn't retain the original number plate because there was not enough proof how much of the original car was included. However they were satisfied I could have an age related plate, but I would have to pay a registration fee of £37.50. Didn't care, never expected to retain the plate anyway, so I was told to come back inside as it would take about 20 minutes to process the paperwork. I asked that once it was complete would they come fetch me as I didn't want to leave the car on double yellows without being with it. Well after 45 minutes I went inside & the inspector saw me & beckoned me to sit down. She then went & told a counter clerk that once she had finished with her current customer to deal with me next. She did & I paid the extra on plastic & walked out with a tax disc & a form to get plates made, bit of an anticlimax really, if only they had got it right in the first place.

I then went round the corner & got a set of plates made, came home put them on & went for my first legal drive up to the fish & chip shop :lol:

Does my bum look big with this on
No Officer the plate is not small you need glasses

Alan...

iank

Excellent, I've read many more harrowing tales of registration hassles, so count that one as a minor distraction.

All ready for the easter long weekend.

esdebe

My first drive with plates on was to the chippy too. And that continued througout the whole of last year on a weekly basis (until is started to rain)

Simon

Phaeton

Staff member
"esdebe"":byg71pgn said:
My first drive with plates on was to the chippy too. And that continued througout the whole of last year on a weekly basis (until is started to rain)
Simon

LOL

Alan...