road leagal buggy wanted

andy22

hi ,could someone tell me how to get a road leagal buggy,could it be easier to make an off road buggy leagal,since money is tight,cheers andy

Phaeton

Staff member
That is one method, but to do that it has to go through an IVA test, think of this as a strict MOT, the cost of which is £580 with a retest fee of £120 so you need to factor that in along with any costs to make an off-road into an on-road. You can download the manual to see what you need to do on the Government website, but I'll be honest I can't currently find it on there.

The upshot is it's likely to cost you at least £1K to get it on the road along with a fair bit of hassle the question is do you want to do that or keep looking for a legally registered one, they do come up now & again.

andy22

thanks very much for that info,not sure what to do,we have a fiat doblo van ,which we use for camping and shoping,but just paid £475 for new alternator,iam fed up with the tech that comes with modern vehicles,we did have a tiger kit car,3yrs ago,wife actually got out and walked,to be fair it was more noise than speed,looked great though,nice long bonet,with limited funs of about 3-4k,trying to get something basic,never undertand why its so hard to get a vehicleto do 0-50mph in 4 sec,with out being rich,

250buggys

Phaeton":2135m229 said:
That is one method, but to do that it has to go through an IVA test, think of this as a strict MOT, the cost of which is £580 with a retest fee of £120 so you need to factor that in along with any costs to make an off-road into an on-road. You can download the manual to see what you need to do on the Government website, but I'll be honest I can't currently find it on there.

The upshot is it's likely to cost you at least £1K to get it on the road along with a fair bit of hassle the question is do you want to do that or keep looking for a legally registered one, they do come up now & again.

I can't believe they keep putting the costs up, it was £450 and £95 for a re-test, when I recently put mine through. I think mine was at least £1200 if you factor in taking 2 days off work, hiring a transporter twice, tank of fuel to get there etc, etc. On the plus side I was lucky, when you look at the 7 forums, some of them have lists of things they need to put right. I just looked at the things Justin & Alistair had issues with and that was a good starting point and only had 2 minor issues to rectify.

It makes you wonder how the likes of robin hood, westfield, tiger can keep selling kits when they are faced with the on the road costs.

Alan, do you remember how much your first SVA test was as a comparison?

Phaeton

Staff member
I think there was a effort to try to wipe out the kit car industry, we seem to be very much alone in Europe of having one, so my thoughts are they tried to legislate us off the road by just putting blocks in the way.

I've seen a nice unregistered Westfield for sale, it was assembled in 2000 hate to think how much the owner has in the car but it's a real gamble buying it with the amount of work/money to get it on the road, coupled with the fact if you ring the DVLA they won't even answer the phone. All the recording says is all tests are cancelled until 1st July & that even that date is under review, they therefore already have a backlog of 3 months tests so it's unlikely to be able to get one until October, who wants to register an open topped sports car without wet weather gear in October bearing in mind there is a limit between passing the IVA & registering. I offered the guy half of what he originally wanted & he got very upset :D as I would have to pay for undercover storage somewhere until next spring. I know that's not actually his problem but I have to factor it in.

As to my first SVA cost, I think it was £180 with a £24 retest, not 100% but around those numbers I think, @Danny or @Steve may remember better, you're lucky I haven't had to go to the top of our stairs to find something.

250buggys

I was looking at this race MK Indy if you could get it for under £5K it would be worth spending £1K on IVA as it looks like a tidy little build and it would cost you maybe triple that to build it from scratch and get it on the road. BEC's are probably more trouble than they are worth with reverse and other bits with IVA but has been done as you always see them, a Zetec would drop in there quite easily. Don't think it will hang around for long, looking at completed listings kit cars are selling fast at the moment.

https://ebay.us/zqcJQq

250buggys

250buggys":3d7u3w2i said:
I was looking at this race MK Indy if you could get it for under £5K it would be worth spending £1K on IVA as it looks like a tidy little build and it would cost you maybe triple that to build it from scratch and get it on the road. BEC's are probably more trouble than they are worth with reverse and other bits with IVA but has been done as you always see them, a Zetec would drop in there quite easily. Don't think it will hang around for long, looking at completed listings kit cars are selling fast at the moment.

https://ebay.us/zqcJQq

Scrap that, you may as well just pay the extra £1K and buy an already registered car.

https://ebay.us/wH7kN1

wagon_1.0

wonder how many of these sold

1190552735-ride-gtr350-overview3.jpg