Rubber Cones

Phaeton

Staff member
Definately looks like my offside rubber cone is softer than my nearside, buggy is sitting low on that side (without fat b*****d) sitting in it. So is it just a matter of getting 2 new rubbers & fitting them or is there a better alternative?

Alan...

iank

Some random thoughts (even more random than usual ;))

I wouldn't bother with the mini coil springs that replace cones as I've heard too many bad reports about them collapsing.

Not sure the top shock brackets are designed to be beefy enough for coil overs. I spoke to Dave a while ago about them and he didn't know anyone running them (well actually he did mention someone running them in addition to the rubber cones, which seems a daft idea to me).

Normal cones are probably a little hard in such a light car, but Jerry posted some instructions on drilling them to soften them (I've also seen that technique mentioned in one of the mini books).

I've seen a report that there are some dodgy fake cones floating around that collapse after days :shock: so be careful getting if getting a bargain on the bay of e.

http://www.calverst.com/news_items/Indi ... Indian.htm

Phaeton

Staff member
Measured the cones tonight & the offside is 15mm shorter than the nearside. I have another set of cones from another used subframe so what is the perceived wisdom. Put the nearside 2nd hand cone on the offside of the buggy or go buy 2 new ones just thinking the 2nd hand one might be a bit softer.

Alan...

wurzell

I fitted a brand new pair of genuine Rover cones (FAM3968) when I first built my Frame, following problems with a coil spring conversion (see other, earlier post)...Using Hilo's to jack the Buggy right up for Trialling and off road use, I noticed after a while that they had started to collapse, almost "rolling inwards" upon themselves where the cone meets the Hilo.
This is of a wider section on a Hilo, over the standard alloy suspension trumpet, and I believe that this increased lip alters the rubber cones mounting face, and uprates its "spring rate", the cone is less likely to roll around against this wider lip. However, it clearly was not working properly on my car, the more suspension movement you have, and the rougher the roads the quicker they seem to collapse, they just dont seem man enough for the job? I think that I've now gone through two or three new pairs since I built the car, and as they didnt seem to last, and it was getting a pain to keep changing them so frequently and the high cost of doing so, recently I've fitted a pair of new Minispares Innocenti Progressively Balanced rubber cones (C-STR687), to give them a try. Another local buggy owner, Jimmy the Frame has fitted some and says their brilliant, much better for off road/trialling than the standard ones. I've not used my Buggy recently, so I could'nt say for sure, but he says that you can really feel the rear suspension moving and working properly, and Minipares advertise them as the "ultimate cone" so they could be worth your trying. They HAVE to be used with Hilo's.
Afraid, as everything nowadays, their a bit more expensive to buy than the standard ones, but hopefully you only have to buy them once, and if they improve the ride/handling/traction etc, they could be well worth the extra expense?........

Phaeton

Staff member
Thanks Jon, unfortunatley as you were typing this I was buying standards from P&L Minis which I fitted yesterday. They've lifted the back of the car a good inch & it's a lot firmer, only driven about 1/2 mile but it felt complet;ly different, not sure whether for the better or not yet.

Alan...

esdebe

Front and rear cones are diffrent part numbers, and I think diffrent hights, you haven't mixed them up when you put it together have you?