Started in ernest today

Angel Boy

Well, finally managed to get some time in the garage today and started stripping the buggy.  Chasis is rusted in quite a few places underneath the existing powder coat so will need a good blast to clear it all I guess.

So jobs done this afternoon are:

Loom removed,
Engine on subframe removed,
Spare wheel holder removed,
Started stripping the passenger side rear wheel,
All the clutch and brake unions are seized so that'll be fun,
Had to chop the gear lever tube that connects to the gearbox as it had seized,
Gear lever thing removed,
Handbrake off (was without cable set up anyway),

It was good to get started.  Also checked out the welds of the chasis mods which have taken place.  No expert but there is a lot of weld material on the joins and I gave them a good couple of wackes with the biggest lump hammer I have and didn't appear to do crumble so fingers crossed.

Anyway first question.  The fixed floor at the front is rusted in various spots, has anyone attempted to replace it?  Just mentally going through the jobs I might have to do as I poke around a particular area.

Andy

Phaeton

Staff member
I find i am somewhat concerned at the lack of pictures in this post  :'(

The front floor should just be pop riveted in, as far as i know my Silver/Red one was the only one Dave welded in, but then I suppose somebody else could have.

Alan..

HolyCount

The four seater's floor was riv-nutted on -- again no problems to remove. But as this guy has been playing with a welder he might have welded anything on !!!!

iank

Phaeton":2qtypzq3 said:
I find i am somewhat concerned at the lack of pictures in this post  :'(

The front floor should just be pop riveted in, as far as i know my Silver/Red one was the only one Dave welded in, but then I suppose somebody else could have.

Alan..

Nope, my front floor is also welded (though of the same vintage as yours.)
The rear floor is bolted/riveted as per the build video.

collie

Cheers Alan, glad to be back! :)
Too much travel this year has made my waistline expand and my buggy has sat in the garage part built.
Hopefully I can help to render this situation over the coming weeks!  :-\