steering wheel removal

Asbo

anyone any advice on removing a steering wheel ? i've removed the big nut and washer(after hitting it a few times with a copper hammer)...but the wheel is seized solid. i've tried using a bigger hammer with a big chisel from the back of it...still no joy. its had several scoots of wd40 over the past few days,also had my mate round and the two of us together couldnt shift it. i'd be tearing my hair out if i had any.  ???

jason_l

Even bigger Hammer?  ;D Or if your not keeping the wheel is there anyway of using a puller.

I have not had a problem like this yet, the wheel on the mini i had just fell off rather than needing any pulling  :eek:

Asbo

phew.....got it with a big mallet and an old jack handle from behind it. i think its probly stuck/seized on due to being used in all weathers....whereas minis tend to be a wee bit dryer on the inside. was going to use my hub puller on it but i cant find it. cheers for the sugg,one buckled and bruised leyland wheel in the wheelie-bin.  ;D

Angel Boy

wulliecosse":10lbyvvm said:
i think its probly stuck/seized on due to being used in all weathers....whereas minis tend to be a wee bit dryer on the inside.

My old mini was never dry on the inside, even after weeks of it being dry it still had soggy carpets.  I believe it is called character!!!!  ;D

Andy