subframe

marshall

hi i have now got the subframe. i have striped the bits of for cleaning and painting.
it had 2 pipes coming out of the top. know it has been striped  to just a subframe
it has 2 bolt holes on top .what type is it?

Phaeton

Staff member
Not sure what you are asking here sorry, as far as I know there were 3 types of subframe fitted to the Mini. 1 was a 'wet' Hydrolastic which doesn't use rubber cones, then there are 2x 'dry' subframes one which has 2 mounting points on top of the towers & a later model more commonly available with 1 large mounting hole on top of the tower.

Put a picture up on Photobucket & then link to it if you can.

Alan...

jason_l

here you go............ :D

minisumframe.jpg

Jason :)

collie

It's a wet (hydrolastic) subframe though, so would need to be converted to a dry subframe to be fitted to the buggy  :(
..and for that I have no idea?  ???

Phaeton

Staff member
Looks like Alex (Collie) is right it appears to be a wet subframe, i.e. instead of having rubber cones it has hydrolastic units, I also have no idea if it can be converted to dry or whether you will need to change it sorry. Hopefully some one will be along soon to let you know, otherwise you may have to ask the children over on TMF.

Alan...

marshall

I was looking at the subframe.
now i know it's a wet subframe i
have striped all the bits off.  now so i
was thinking it should be a straight forward
swap over to the dry set up will this work..

esdebe

You can convert the subframe to dry but I'm not sure if the subframe has the correct bolt arrangement to bolt onto the chassis without modification to the chassis / subframe but It shouldn't be two hard to overcome this (drill and nuts and bolts..)

http://www.minimania.com/web/Item/MMKT0 ... Detail.cfm

This site lists what a normal mini would need to do the conversion, from these parts you would need :-

Adjustable hi-lows as the space in the tower isn't the same as the normal dry set-up.
and the rubber doughnuts / cones that the dry set-up uses.

esdebe

I only put the link as it listed parts....  You can get all the bit a lot cheeper if you look arround and you don't need to have adjustable shocks, or any of the rear setup...

I bought imatation hi-lows from Hudasfiled Mini for a reasonable price

Simon

marshall

i was not to concerned about hi-low just a standard set up will do
for now. just to get it started. thanks were is the best web site
to get these parts as money is tight

esdebe

The reason for the hi-lows is probably because of a difference in the towers, as I said in first response the way they bolt on may make a difference too.  Standard trumpets may be too long or two short.

Phaeton

Staff member
Marshall, You're not on the map so not sure where in the country you are, but if of any use I have a dry subframe here. I also think I may have a set of doughnuts & trumpets.

Alan...

jason_l

If your not in a rush i will also have a set of doughnuts and trumpets available in a few months or so when i convert to coilovers, either that or i can give them to the bin!

Will probably be easier getting hold of a dry subframe to be honest ???