suspension new set up

biddleboy

wat do you guys reckon with this fron set up on the freestyle
1130430-4.jpg

iank

Looks like a good sturdy double wishbone design so just right for a buggy.
Only thing on the freestyle is where to put the shock top mount.  You can either construct towers or make an inboard arrangement like we have.

biddleboy

well ian the bonnet on the freestyle wiil cover those you no the bit that come out just by the lights that covers the shocke on the freestyle ayway well thats the idea

Mini Mad Max

Thats a good design, but you should try and make the wish bones as long as you are comfortable with as you can get away with longer shocks for longer travel.
Max :D

Phaeton

Staff member
I talked to Dave about this a couple of years ago, he didn't want to do this as he wanted to be different from the Seven lookalikees I disagreed, so like the setup as long as it's done correctly. Not sure what frame you're actually designing, is it a Freestyle copy with a Mini engine or are you looking at other power plants as that may determine what hubs you use. Will you be able to build in some form of adjustment for camber & caster, adjustable chamber is more important, if you get the setup right, caster should be built in. You will probably have to extend the front by a few inches to accommodate the front wishbone mounting, which in itself is not a bad thing, I would leave the shocks where they are in the picture as it may give you an area in which to build a petrol tank location.

Just while we're on this subject I think you have to decide what you want to achieve, is it a direct replacement for the Freestyle, bearing in mind any that are not IVA'd before April 2010 probably never will be. This means your operation/business will only have a very short shelf life. Or are you looking to make a replacement for the Freestyle, if that is the case then I personally would start with a blank piece of paper making a list of the things that are right with the Freestyle & things that are wrong & then go about designing it's replacement.

Alan...

biddleboy

ime glad ive got a positive answer on it and some one agrees with me as for the multiple production of the new design it might be just the one unless some likes it then i might do another it will be a case of trial an error with the iva

biddleboy

thats wen every think come into force on the iva at the mo we have a bit of le way only untill 2010 though they not give us any ley way on the price lol

jason_l

biddleboy":109o2llu said:
thats wen every think come into force on the iva at the mo we have a bit of le way only untill 2010 though they not give us any ley way on the price lol

Thats ok then. I was bricking it thinking they are banning open frame cars or something, i shouldn't have many problems with the fuel tank now i have an extra compartment for it. Just the other issues to resolve now then  :(

Phaeton

Staff member
It's when they ban the filler being in the engine bay but not an issue that you will have Jason, as long as you sort the firewalls out correctly.

Alan...

Danny

Administrator
i think i saw that buggy at stoneleigh its got ashite name Adams buggy or something....lol he was an arrogant pratt from what i remember!!

Well when i return i will be looking at seriously developing something....Muddybuggies as a site is pretty well established to effectivly promote a new buggy.... be good to have Dave onboard too.

Anyway must dash the beach is calling

Danny

biddleboy

yeah danny he is very arrogant he only lives about 2 mile up the road from me and it was at stone in 08 he was addvertising it well he was asking 3 grand just for the chassis ha ha hes having a laf as i said before if we carnt get dave back then between us we could come up with somthing

nw208

Just a quick thought on componants and possible chassis designs, I decided to build a buggy based kit car after coming from autograss racing, just google companies like drd racing and berrisford componants for inspiration.

Class 8 9 and 10 "specials" should inspire all, 

yorkshire

I think that buggy is up for sale on Pistonheads under kitcars - other £6,500.

I was talking to my mate a couple of weeks ago about how hard it would be to weld on a frame to the existing

freestyle bulkhead in order to put a pair of wishbones on.

A couple of other guys at work joined in the conversation and two hours later it was time to go home.

I wish work was always that interesting :)

Mini Mad Max

Mmmm I was thinking the same today, i don't go to work, too young, but if i did, it would've been an interesting day today :D

Danny

Administrator
I dont go to work either max and my day is pretty interesting well the beaches always pass the time nicely

Danny