The Lakes Buggy Tour 2011

Mini Mad Max

Hi everyone,
I'm really sorry the lakes trip didn't happen this year as i never got round to planning a route. I will start planning soon for a trip next year. Now the Cumbrian summer is usually at its best by late May through to the end of June. I think it should be a long weekend to allow people to get here then spend a day or two driving and then home time :) I'm thinking Spring bank holiday (that's the second one in may, not stoneleigh weekend) so the 28th-30th of May. However that is a bank holiday weekend and so there will be plenty of tourists  :-\ Because it's half term school holiday for me, if people could book the friday off work if you have work commitments Friday 3rd to Sunday 5th of june could be good.
If people tell me what they think of the dates then we can work out a fixed date.
The Run will include many of the lake districts mountain passes and beautiful scenery etc. Also I can see what i can do about having a bit of a competitive bit as there are a fair few dis-used airfields in cumbria, also Englands Famed Birthplace of speed: Grange Over Sands, where Babs got the land speed record for a short while (or something like that :p )
Tell me if you're interested so i can get an idea of numbers for campsites etc.
Thanks,
Max

Steves2580

Hi Max,

I will possibly be able to do the May weekend, but won't be able to make the June weekend (Work commitments, Open Day).
Not sure about camping, as I'm only an hour away and like my bed!

This is only if Mary is finished and road worthy ;D ;D
Should be fun with 1800cc behind you ;D ;D

Steve.

P.S. Will your's be finished Max????

Steve

Max
Can I be a possible maybe, I would like to say yes but I always have a lot on around that time of year.
I will confirm a.s.a.p but at the moment I would say 60% possible.

Steve

Radar

hi Max , put me down as I would like to do that in my Scorpion (provided its not an offroad/water  fording trip you have planned but a good winding road job ...)

Radar

Mini Mad Max

Hi guys,
Thanks for the interest.
Steves2580":3h56xm2z said:
Hi Max,

I will possibly be able to do the May weekend, but won't be able to make the June weekend (Work commitments, Open Day).
Not sure about camping, as I'm only an hour away and like my bed!

This is only if Mary is finished and road worthy ;D ;D
Should be fun with 1800cc behind you ;D ;D

Steve.

P.S. Will your's be finished Max????
At the rate your build is goin i'm sure it would be ready for that :D Mine probably wont be ready by then knowing me but it might do with some help  ;)

Radar":3h56xm2z said:
The scorpion is more than welcome, as it is just roads, no splash dashes or offroading plann
hi Max , put me down as I would like to do that in my Scorpion (provided its not an offroad/water  fording trip you have planned but a good winding road job ...)

Radar
The scorpion is more than welcome. I plan to stay on the roads :) Don't worry no offroading or splash dashes planned.

Steve":3h56xm2z said:
Max
Can I be a possible maybe, I would like to say yes but I always have a lot on around that time of year.
I will confirm a.s.a.p but at the moment I would say 60% possible.

Steve
I know it's a busy time of year, but it's a long way off so you have plenty of time before you need to make a final confirmation that you can come :) That's the same for all the other possible maybe people :D

One other thing though, if my buggy isn't finished, I will be taking any offer of a spare passenger seat haha :p
Max

Mini Mad Max

The time has come to reveal a route for a lovely weekend in the North :)
It will be layed around a weekend, so people can arrive on a friday evening to a campsite around keswick area. Then two days of awesome roads camping in between and afterwards (unless people return home on the last day depending on the time we finish) around the Penrith area.
Day 1, the lake district pass bash! : Day 1 route
Day two East Cumbria and Yorkshire Dales Razz! : Day 2 route
Each route should take a day with time to stop and sight see whereever seems a good spot :)
It doesn't really matter which way round the order of the days goes so just tell me anything you want changed, also please do not hesitate to suggest any road you know of that i've missed or anything you spot!
As for time of year, I understand the Wales run is in late August so in order not to clash and in order to miss holiday traffic, a weekend around September time would be ideal!
Max

Steves2580

Two good routes there Max!
Just let me know when and I'll be there!
Might not camp, but I'll do one if not both runs!

Steve ;D

Mini Mad Max

Steves2580":2axmagsw said:
Two good routes there Max!
Just let me know when and I'll be there!
Might not camp, but I'll do one if not both runs!

Steve ;D
Magic! There will be enough time in the evenings/mornings for you to go home/come up in time for the runs (especially at the speeds mary is capable of :p )

Danny":2axmagsw said:
I am a maybe.... Its gonna be a long long long way for me though :-(
I appreciate the fact it's a massively long drive in a buggy for anyone further than the midlands... especially if you find driving quite tireing still :/ However the more the merrier! :)

Mini Mad Max

Day 2 has just been changed as Dad had noted a much better route a while back, similar length, just more interesting and less busy, with less A road driving :) Anywho, here's the new link: Edited route 2
It also has a large stretch of unfenced road surrounded by common land, so there maybe a possibility to find a relatively flat open area for some fun of different sorts :)
Max

Phaeton

Staff member
I'll be interested depending on dates, would have to come up Friday & camp & then camp Sunday for the run home Monday.

Danny you do realise it's about 350 miles Chichester to Penrith?

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
Danny":1uy3ngsx said:
I am still considering a flat bed then drive then flat bed home :)

Don't blame you, I hate those curved ones & those with the nails in are just gash.  ::)

Alan...