Ultralite Buggy Build

ChaosMS

Here are the pictures of the bits I had to fix - also had to sort out the emissions - I took before and after photos for each fix and then sent them to Andrew at the test station to make sure he was happy with each modification (He said I could do this) mainly so i didnt fail again for something silly!!

14ff590e-3c62-4dbb-aff6-4b9fe60c322d.jpg

Air filter fix, rotate the clips and add rubber edging to the rear edge of the air filter to give it a 2.5mm radius

f723277b-2857-455a-b050-a8b1748239b6.jpg

Fog Light fix - replace the small plastic rocker switch with a rather nice ally flush fitting push button version (only protrudes from the dash by 1.5mm)

b68b7aa5-f989-4a2c-9d90-207c22033f0e.jpg

Top harness clips fix - edges of harness clips were not 2.5mm radius so added rubber edging to comply

4c0c1dcc-bb33-4c0f-b9f3-542b27187675.jpg

Identification of controls fix - apply a horn symbol sticker to the horn push

e40a3714-269e-493b-aecf-81c9075815e1.jpg

Licence plate fix - although i had a legal licence plate dummy attached (correct size) the mounting plate behind was 10mm smaller all round so it could not be seen so that meant the edges of the plate (just the 10mm) were not supported and this was an issue, so a larger mounting plate (10mm larger all round) was made and fitted complete with rubber edging to ensure edge 2.5mm radius, this new mounting is larger than the VOSA TEST PLATE - and that the important bit you have to have all the yellow area on the test plate fully supported or it fails

1c6d2b09-602d-4abf-9a28-27f1a1892952.jpg

Radiator fan motor mounting lugs not 2.5mm radius so made a drilled panel that covered the whole fan assembly, however had to remove it on the way home from the resit as the engine started to overheat as the fan couldnt get the heat away with the panel in place, removed it and for the rest of the run hoe it never got above the normal operating temp!!

0e80fb90-c08c-44a7-e802-5396654c7315.jpg

hub adaptors at the rear protruded from the wheel slightly so needed a 2.5mm radius - applied rubber edging

b9ff3d51-57b6-48b2-fcb0-82c5c79f647b.jpg

shock adjuster knob didnt have 2.5mm radius so fitted domed nut covers !

cea50f21-c062-46a4-d203-022bb8681009.jpg

side repeater location - repeaters not visible from rear so moved them to the guards behind the driver and passenger seats

65297e07-cbca-4903-9714-03413181c15c.jpg

track rod end nut - although I had fitted rubber covers over the track ends the lock nut could still be felt under the rubber so slipped the cover back and wrapped the lock nut with a section of bike inner tube and fastened in place and re-fitted the rubber cover - all good

And thats it - I now have a IVA pass certificate and ive ordered the registration pack from the DVLA (Andrew gave me the number its a V55/5) so just got to wait for the DVLA to send it then send it completed back and get the registration and log book!!!!!

Rich

ChaosMS

Quick update guys, buggy is currently off the road due to a failed exhaust once again!! - it keeps blowing the thermal paste at the joint to the CAT, so ive stripped it all out and making a new all stainless system with bolt together flanges, so that should solve the problem plus i get polish something else!!

Cant remember if I mentioned this before but Ive also changed the cooling system quite a bit, gone is the little alloy expansion tank to be replaced with a VW ball type and re plumbed everything so that the expansion bottle actually works!!

Anyway photos to follow after the weekend

Rich

ChaosMS

Danny, yeah tried the silicone option, the standard black exhaust stuff and then the alloy grey/silver stuff and finally the copper high temp, they all failed! oddly though the copper stuff is quite happy sealing the manifolds to the block its just the hot spot right before the cat

Anyway wont need to use any of it now as ive got proper metal gaskets complete with fire rings!!!!

Gavrobson

Good! I will be looking out for your next thread, this is something I want to do my self so looking at everyone else's to get a few ideas lol