VW Buggy

Baloo

Well here's the start point
a low mileage hardly used golf 20v turbo ;D ;D ;D

now it hasn't moved under its own power in a decade or more but plan on bringing it back to life
so lets start with what we have

this

mice had taken up residence under the plastic engine cover

quick trip on a forklift from next door got it home

half an hour with a jet was improved the sate of the engine no end

as I haven't put a battery on it yet I don't know the mileage but I am told its low, as witnessed by the paper labels still on the driveshafts and no wear on the pedal rubbers

next i wil try to outline what i am thinking of doing with it

Baloo

hello boys

so does anyone know if there was a non power steering rack fitted to golfs that would fit mine as the engine is going in the back I don't think there will be a lot of weight on the front wheels and a manual rack would save a lot of plumbing ?

Baloo

and what holds the ecu in place, I found it and can see how the plugs come off but what holds the ecu in place ?

wagon_1.0

the ecu sits in a wee metal cage, think there are 3 bolts holding it in from under the dash.... maybe, it was a long time since i wrecked a golf.

the ecu should slide out of teh cage.

as far as i know, golfs have had PAS since the MK2. MK1 rack might work, but you could "de" powersteer your rack?

I am considering a mini "quickrack" in mine - they are cheaper than i expected.

ChaosMS

Looking good, its good to see that the golf "Got some Air" before departing for a new life :D ;D

Baloo

I don't have any wheels and tyres yet but bidding on these at the moment

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-Audi-A1- ... fresh=true

I am assuming they will fit as I think they are 5x100 really need two types of tyre, I set of road tyres and a set of something like bf goodriech all terrains for offroad as for size not sure yet
I think I can go somewhat bigger than standard as the buggy will be half the weight of a golf and should pull a taller gear with ease
failing that I guess there must be lower ratios from the smaller engine golfs

would also have preferred an auto but it came as a manual so that's what it is lol

Baloo

ee gods there's an awful lot of wires running everywhere
its nearly ready to drop the engine and box out now, I do hope we can delete a lot of the pipes and things that clutter the engine bay

it made it into the workshop so cant stop now lol

the ecu eventually gave up clinging to the bulkhead and was prised free

Baloo

and whats the plastic canister behind the oil filter it has pipes running of to the airfilter box , would like to loose that too

wagon_1.0

Actually if you look in the boot you'll find the build sticker which should have the code on it. I'm betting aum

Mines an ARX from a shkoda

ChaosMS

The code should also be stamped on the top of the lifting lug thats part of the head (at least mine is) Like Wagon said you can loose all the secondary air system which is that black pump and all the panel that sits under the plastic cover that goes around the dipstick, there is also a valve on the side that you remove and you can get a nice little anodised alloy block off plate for it for a few quid on ebay.

As for the wheels I have made a little change there the golf you have will be a 5x100 like you said, however as I wanted a bolt in drive flange and bearing in one piece that just bolts to whatever hub carrier I design / make i went for the MK5 golf / R32 style bearing which just happens to have the exact same splines as the mk4 golf and audi tt!! so I have two of them on the rear and will be purchasing another two for the front - this does mean that I will be running 5x112 PCD though tyres will be General Grabbers again i think they were excellent before unfortunately the ones I have on the suzuki rims are 15inch tyres and I will need to go to an 18inch rim to clear disk calipers and wishbones so I will be selling them on ebay soon (4 x114.3 PCD 15" Ultralite D1 Drift wheels and hardly used General Grabber AT2's with 1500 miles on 4 of them the spare wheel never touched the road)

I have also got (from the scrapyard in the sky ebay) some mk5 gti front big calipers, and the rear vented disk calipers from an audi TT (I understand thats a popular conversion for the mk4 golfs too, I have stripped them fully down and they will be getting a complete re-build with new pistons etc, the disks have turned up from MTEC too 312mm front vented disks and 280mm vented rear disks which they finished in black (some new coating they use now to stop the majority of the disk rusting was £25 for all the disks so I went for it) and are all drilled and grooved.

My office at home is starting to get full of bits now! so I need to start getting them installed, I am looking at a new bigger radiator too and going from a single cooling fan to two I think - I have seen one that might do the job on Amazon of all places but I might struggle finding a location for it so might end up with two small ones we shall see...

Oh and one last thing the wiring goes through the bulkhead and does not have a bulkhead plug so I had to cut the loom in half to get all f it out from inside the car through to the engine bay 60 odd wires I had to label ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ::) :-\ :'( !! and all the dashboard had to be removed to get it out.

wagon_1.0

Actually I have some m10 grub screws if you would like one to blank off your evap on the tb.

I binned that, the air pump sai, the older AGU has a much simpler plumbing set up with vac etc so i copied that. The only thing I kept was the "Puck" engine breather as think ccv is worth having ;D

Most popular 285mm porsche rear 4 pots, I had this conversion on my corrado

wagon_1.0

some docs and diagrams in here for you...

attachment.php

ChaosMS

didnt have a choice car was in a scrap yard and we only had the day to extract engine/gearbox/loom/ecu/pedal etc so had to label and mark each side of the loom near the bulkhead and cut it (it was scary)

wagon_1.0

hehe! it sounds it - fortunatly 98% of it isnt even needed :)

are you "standaloning" the 1.8T or are you "golfing" the buggy?