Well Nuts Vs. Rivet Nuts

collie

I was in a quandry since with the rivet gun I bought, I was unable to reliably fit the rivet nuts. So I was about to ask for help when I thought, there must be an alternative?
There is! Found some Rubber Well Nuts, they work exactly like Rivnuts but no rivet gun required!
Fitted my rear panel with them tonight and am really impressed.
Has anyone else had experience with these?

collie

A picture from the sellers auction...

dd_1_b.JPG

Admittedly they're not cheap, but I think they're worth it!

Do a search on eBay for "Well Nuts"

iank

There are a couple of things to watch with well nuts, first is obviously they aren't rigid like a rivnut (this can be a good or a bad thing obviously) second is they can perish over the years. Shouldn't be a completely fine for the buggy bodywork but they are less suitable for things like rear view mirror mounts.

There are a number of home made tools around the web for setting rivnuts, I'll have a search around if you are interested.

hmalan

I have one of the more expensive rivnut applicators and a load of rivnuts, mainly the larger sizes.

If you wish to borrow this give me a shout.

I have used the rubber nuts you refer to and have found that if used somewhere that requires the bolts/ screws to be taken out the rubber base can start to twist and its a bugger to get them out.

I bought a box of 8mm rivnuts from a local tool merchants and it cost me £18 for 150. Then found a local fastenings company who sold me 100 6mm for less than £4.

Alan

collie

Thanks for response chaps...

Iank - It'd be interesting to see how these tools are constucted if you find something, since I feel it'd probably be a good link for new builders who are not able to afford or borrow.

hmalan - Another tempting offer, I'm gonna have to zoom on over to Doncaster one of these days to say hello/borrow something/compare notes/admire buggy etc etc! :)

binno

Hi guys

Just another thought. I use a hand held gun at work which is similar to a pop rivet gun and works well.

Have a look on ebay at item no 200177943261

Sorry crap with computers so couldnt do a link!!

Mark

funbuggydave

Bought a better version of that (about £45 from CBS) and not greatly impressed, the 6mm thread has bent as I've pulled it (possibly a bit hard)
I used to use a version like the cheap and easy one using a high tensile bolt and nut/spanner, time consuming but seems to work.
I know a man who has an air operated one, it's the dog's danglies :D
Dave

hmalan

have used an air operated rivet gun for all my stuff and that is certainly the dogs danglies compared to hand held so I am sure that would be the same.

Biggest problem I had with mine was screwing the thread in too far and then putting on too much pressure, this resulted on stripping the thread on the rivnut itself.