Which MG for a K series donor, MGF or MGTF?

250buggys

I recon I will keep an eye out for one that comes up cheap enough local to me but couldn't remember was it the TF with the proper suspension?

Phaeton

Staff member
Depends what you mean by proper suspension, I like the older hydrolastic suspension, to me it gives you more flexibility as you can raise & lower the suspension by just increasing the pressure, but that's just me I like weird stuff, simply love the Citroen BX & Xantia's However Danny preferred the newer TF stuff, 2 things to note of that, he had to make the brackets to fit the subframe to the Freestyle frame stick out further then when I did my F version to clear the extra suspension arms. I also think you need to consider shorter/softer springs due to less weight.

Danny

Administrator
I had an MGF but I did not like the idea of hydro doughnuts being scarce and seeing as I planned on holding onto the buggy for a long time (nearly 20 years for me now) theMGTF was a good solution...

I thought I would have to replace the rear springs but I have not seen or felt I need to yet...

I really like the k series engine and the power is good and manageable... I would do a few things different if I did it again but I am happy overall :D

250buggys

Hi Alan

I have a set of 4x 216 VVT alloys left over from my 220 coupe turbo days. The rear end should fit nicely on the MG sub frame but looking at fitment for the mini hubs do these look right?

25mm spacers

Mini 4 inch PCD (101.6mm) to MG Rover 100 PCD M12 X 1.5mm

Also I remember you saying not to put the same tyres front to back. Currently they are 185 55 15, what would you recommend tyre wise profile for front and rear pls?

Screenshot_2022-05-11-21-53-59.png

Phaeton

Staff member
Only problem with using those rims is you will also have to use spacers on the rear, MGF/MGTF used a strange PCD found on no other car if I remember correctly, so I'm not sure the 220 Coupe Turbo (I did like that car) will fit.

MGF/MGTF – PCD: 4x95.25 (4x3.75)
220 Coupe PCD: 4x100

After a quick Google you will need adaptors, which will throw your rear wheels even wider, unless you get the hubs redrilled.

But the ones you linked to will work for the front

With regards to the tyres, the MG crowd always recommended fitting a 1 size larger on the rear, I seem to remember running 195's on the front with 205 the back, but how much difference it made I'm not too sure.

250buggys

Only problem with using those rims is you will also have to use spacers on the rear, MGF/MGTF used a strange PCD found on no other car if I remember correctly, so I'm not sure the 220 Coupe Turbo (I did like that car) will fit.

MGF/MGTF – PCD: 4x95.25 (4x3.75)
220 Coupe PCD: 4x100

After a quick Google you will need adaptors, which will throw your rear wheels even wider, unless you get the hubs redrilled.

But the ones you linked to will work for the front

With regards to the tyres, the MG crowd always recommended fitting a 1 size larger on the rear, I seem to remember running 195's on the front with 205 the back, but how much difference it made I'm not too sure.
Thanks for pointing that out Alan, I assumed the MG PCD was 4 x 100 rather than checking.

Don't really want the back of the buggy to be any wider. I am glad I ran it past you first.

250buggys

Not the right time of year to be looking for a convertible, all silly money.

Looking for a MOT failure that is local, will see what comes up.

250buggys

Hi Alan did you ever try 15 inch wheels on the Freestyle mini running gear?

I know the acceleration wont be as good but just wondering if it will be much worse than the 13 inch wheels, whether the engine and drive gear has enough torque to make it work?

Phaeton

Staff member
Chris, I ran Mary on 15" Bini rims I can't find her build diary, maybe it disappeared when the forum was rebuilt some time ago, but here she is when Steve got her https://www.muddybuggies.com/forum/index.php?threads/marys-back.1352/ still on them. I didn't have any issues with them, far smoother ride & no noticeable loss in performance. Obviously there was a PCD difference, but I think I used wobble nuts & was very careful when tightening them up, in fact Steve bought new alloys & still went the same `PCD i believe.

250buggys

Chris, I ran Mary on 15" Bini rims I can't find her build diary, maybe it disappeared when the forum was rebuilt some time ago, but here she is when Steve got her https://www.muddybuggies.com/forum/index.php?threads/marys-back.1352/ still on them. I didn't have any issues with them, far smoother ride & no noticeable loss in performance. Obviously there was a PCD difference, but I think I used wobble nuts & was very careful when tightening them up, in fact Steve bought new alloys & still went the same `PCD i believe.
Thanks for the link Alan :)

nescafe37

Just remember you can always modify the hubs to 4x100 pcd if needed? I did it with my trike which had a 1.4 metro engine and subframe in the back. It too also ran 95.25pcd but i re-drilled the hubs and brake discs and fitted new studs.

250buggys

Just remember you can always modify the hubs to 4x100 pcd if needed? I did it with my trike which had a 1.4 metro engine and subframe in the back. It too also ran 95.25pcd but i re-drilled the hubs and brake discs and fitted new studs.
Yes thanks, good option for not using spacers and making the buggy any wider.

Did you just get the machine shop to drill the new PCD on the hub and leave the old holes on there? I don't supose it would work with a 5 stud pattern.