Windscreen and wiper

stevec

Hi all,

I have been using my freestyle for Classic Trialling for 3years now and want to fit a decent glass screen and wiper. The perspex is impossible to see through at night in the rain.

Has anyone done somethig similar, and can advise me on what wiper motor they used and where they located it?

Phaeton

Staff member
Interesting, no solutions on the wiper front sorry have looked at it a couple of times. I know Simon was looking into a single wiper mounted above the screen but don't think he's pursued it.

As to the trialling what mods have you done? as I fancy a go at it, any pictures?

Alan...

stevec

Hi Alan

I have a standard MG Metro engine but now use a 4.1 competion diff, not limited as they're banned.

Height is the main issue so I use Hi lows on the back and got some longer springs for the front, but that didn't make much difference. I did need negative camber botm arms to counteract the jacking up.

I've also been using Vauxhall 14" wheels but I think they're a little too wide so I've now got some Minor 14" but haven't  used them yet.

Oh yes and a good sump shield from the floor pan and back past the engine with spacers to protect the gear selector rod as it passes under the gearbox.

Currently its lowered and running MG Metro turbo wheels to do a "Solo" (Autotest type) event.

I have some photos on my work laptop so I'll post them tomorrow.

Phaeton

Staff member
Going back to the wiper, I actually don't see the wiper being a real problem, I think many rear single wipers could be converted, either mounted in the nose cone or above the frame, you could I suppose even drill the screen & have it over the passenger side. The big issue I think is the screen, needs to be laminated glass & in an ideal world curved at the front so it fits on the nose cone & then flat where it would touch the frame. I just don't think it would be possible. Alternatively a flat screen could just sit on the frame but that would allow water to drain down between the screen & the same nose cone wetting you feet. There may also be a demisting issue, but it is something I would like to look into.

Alan...

boger123

i have just been reading about you are thinking about a window screen ive got a number for a man who deals in making  windows from scratch ill sort it out and post it on for you tomorrow you never now he might be able to help

Asbo

Paul":ukavse55 said:
Why not just use a standard mini wiper motor with only one wheel box?

what do you mean? what is a wheel box?maybe i missing something?

Phaeton

Staff member
The Mini wiper motor is remote from the actual wiper stalks it pushes a rod backwards & forwards which then is converted back into rotating movement it's part 7 on this IMAGE

Alan...

stevec

Alan

Thanks for the parts diagram. I think the later 2 speed Lucas wiper motor uses a cable, so I guess I could just use the cable upto the first wiper connection which is quite short. Being flexable this would make it much easier to position the motor.

Then the motor could then be mounted on the chasis frame somewhere under the bonet, behind the dash area on the pasenger side.

What do you think?

Phaeton

Staff member
Only thing I can think of is it really needs to be mounted onto the nose cone itself so if you remove the nose the wiper & motor come off as well, otherwise you're going to need to disconnect the wiper each time. I 'think' that was the reason that Simon was looking at mounting it on top of the frame & it working downwards, if you see what I mean.

I've come to work in the Buggy today (pi$$ing it down at the moment) & whilst sat in the traffic I was looking at the shape of a windscreen, it would be very complex if you wanted it to join to the nose cone.

Alan...

JAMIE B.

You can cheat a little here if you dont mind a front toughened screen (most cars used to have this)

I seem to recall custom made toughened screens didn't cost the earth provided they are flat (the last time I looked, a few years ago).

Assuming you go for the flat option, the screen can be mounted in the square(ish) hole in the chassis by means of four lugs welded to the vertical tubes and the screen can be bolted to the chassis, leaving 5 or 6mm clearance (like ford ka rear quarter glass). this would mean having four holes made in the screen and mounting it using rubber grommets.
With regards to the wiper, use a metro rear wiper motor, this can be bolted to the screen (another three holes in the glass). Its quite a neat unit and lends itself well to the job, provided you dont mind a one speed motor.
Did this years ago on a car I made and used a company called solaglass (not sure if they are still around)
I just provided them with a paper template of the glass shape and where I wanted the holes and they made me the screen in 6mm toughened glass.
The Talbot sunbeam had a similar setup on the rear screen. (no old jokes please Im only 38)
Bolting a laminated screen wouldn't be able to cope with the stresses of chassis flex, never mind putting a wiper in it.
Can't remember the exact costs involved but £170 seems to ring a bell.
Toughened glass no use for the IVA !!
But once you pass...!

Jamie

esdebe

Take a look at the options for Marine Wipers, that was what I was look ing at using mounted on the top and using a flat screen but other than decigding on that much I never took it any further, as for the drainage issue I hadn't though that far ahead but you could posibly have a Glass upper screnn over a flexy pcv lower screen so there is a slight overlap, the lower screen would connect to the GRP nose and would hook under the glass so water runs off.