Winter is approaching.... Heater time!

Buggybloke

I've just trial fitted my 'heater' to my Blitz. I made it from a Renault 25 Estate heater matrix, (approx size of small cereal packet!) and made a box for it to fit in. The box fits up, under my front fairing panel, and has a hole in the top for a 100mm 'computer-type' fan. I've yet to connect up the fan, (-which apparently shifts 1500 cu ft air per min! :eek:), but the heater matrix is plumbed in and gets VERY hot! I have 2 outlets for windscreen demisters, and will have 3 or 4 outlet for blowing air towards feet and body. the various lengths of ducting has been made from P.V.C. Domestic plumbing fittings. Once I've fitted my windscreen, roof and sidescreens, I'll be ready for whatever the elements decide to throw at me!...... ;D

Phaeton

Staff member
If the computer fan doesn't shift enough air, then get a fan from a motorcycle radiator, I have one on mine, I then got some big ceramic resistors from Maplins & wired them in series through some switches & have now got variable speed fan.

Quite strange but with no sides, you think it doesn't make a difference until you switch it off.

Alan...

Buggybloke

I've cut my vents in my heater box, and fitted my ducting pipes and it certainly kicks out a fair bit of heat now... gonna fit a second computer-style fan, to push more air through it. (seeing as I can't really shut any vents off yet, as mine is a 'work-in-progress' type design). I'm goimg to start to fill in the gaps in the front panel area to keep out the airflow, which should increase the heat output too, and the small 'slits' around the front edge of the floor pan. It really is suprising what a difference the heater makes, even if there's not a lot to keep the heat inside the passenger compartment! the fan's adjustable thermostat is playing up a little, and now and then gets stuck in the 'ON' position, and within 5 mins, I have a cold engine!.... so I'm going to wire it up through a relay to, hopefully it'll stop the contacts melting together in the thermostat switch.