Melvin the Mev Mevster

The place where MuddyBuggies Members can post updates to their projects
Phaeton

Re: Melvin the Mev Mevster

Postby Phaeton » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:52 am

Took Melvin to a RR session yesterday to see if the guy could find anything wrong, but with the new Cat that I fitted Tuesday everything was fine, so it proves that I've waste countless hours on a brand new Cat that was useless. Only thing he did suggest was replacing the Bosch Lamdba with a Denso one, he claims the MX5's much prefer the Denso ones, so one on order.

Phaeton

Postby Phaeton » Thu May 13, 2021 6:36 pm

Went back for the retest on Wednesday,

Windscreen tick
Seatbelt mountings tick
Wheel arches tick
Emissions tick
Service brakes tick
Emergency/Handbrake FAIL!!!!

I had shortened the cable & tried to hold the 2 halfs together using clamps, it held when I was testing it & held for the first test on the passenger side, but the clamps slipped he the strong armed it again for the drivers side.

What is even more annoying is I've contacted Speedy Cables who will do a proper shortening job 40mm for £10 plus postage, why did I try to bodge it?

Phaeton

Postby Phaeton » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:33 pm

Sorry just an update which I missed to do, went back for the reretest on the 2nd, no issues with the replacement cable & calliper, I actually think the bodged cable would have been fine & the issue was the calliper, although the 'proper' cable is far better.

So onto the next problem, when I took it for the initial IVA I was very pleased at the way it filled up the tank, the other lads who have Mevsters tell me they are a real pain to fill, 20+ minutes to get full. I had no such issue, it filled or at least went up to 3/4 quickly. Although not done a lot of running it's had a bit & a good rolling road session so on the way to the test I thought I'd best full it back up. But really struggled to get any fuel in, no matter what angle I held the handle at, it was a very vert slow filling of 10L. I wondered if I had put the bleed valve in the wrong way around, it didn't seem logical the way it filled the first time, but you never know, so yesterday I took the whole back end off again to find the fuel filler pipe looking like this

No they are not images of
@Danny's colonoscopy but what the fuel has done to the inner pipe, contacted the seller who gave me the spiel about being very sorry, they thought they had contacted all the customers & it was a faulty reel they got & offered a refund, which I have taken.

I've ordered some more from a Chandliers, but this time it's not flexible to have had to buy some 50mm exhaust bends, hopefully the right ones, at least I'm not on the road yet.

Although this leads me to my next rant, I have to pay for the insurance & the VED from the 1st June although it might be July before I get on the road, which leads me into another rant, don't stop me I'm on a roll.

Adrian Flux tried to auto-renew my insurance on the Robin Hood although I sold it ages ago, I never cancelled the policy as there was nothing to come back from it, but it gave me cover to drive other vehicles 3rd party (currently don't have another car) The renewal was £110, so I informed them not to renew, it ran out on the 1st, asked for a quote for Melvin, they came back at £160, to which I said No Thanks, that's too expensive compared with the RH I'll ring Graham Sykes, to which they replied "Let me see if the underwriter can do anything else" 5 minutes later the same policy was only £120 at which point I couldn't be bothered to argue anymore & paid it, but it shows you have to argue with them on the legalised theft policies.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “MuddyBuggies Owners Projects”