A-frame

robcoles

I'm interested in buying an A-frame or towing dolly. Do anyone have one for sale or know where is a good place to get one.

Danny

Administrator
I think phaeton is the best person to ask on this one :)

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Phaeton

Staff member
Rob I made one, very simple design, I replaced the bottom arm bolts with some a little longer (remember they are imperial) made 2x brackets that went on the outside of the panel. In the picture you see it with a nut & bolt, but after I finished it I drilled a hole through the bolt & used the bolt, a couple of washers & a long R clip which made attaching a matter of seconds.

DSC00294.jpg

Came forward with some arms, put in some bracing, then ended up a a cheap trailer hitch.

DSC00293.jpg

I towed mine down to Stoneleigh when I first got it, to the SVA for it's test, never had an issue, I'd take actual pictures of it but I lent it to somebody to tow a buggy down from Scotland & that's the last I saw of it :(

robcoles

I've seen a few on eBay for £130 ish

Phaeton ...... Your design looks just the job , shame the person you lent it too wasn't good enough to return it to you :/

owelly

Be sure you're satisfied that you're staying the correct side of the law with A-frames. I got caught out in 2015 and I still have the points!

ETA to add: I've just notice the date of this post but the advise still stands!

Phaeton

Staff member
Yes it's a minefield, it all depends who you come up against & whether they know the law, TBH I have towed cars on A-frames for 30+
years & never had an issue, but there are risks.

What were you doing to bring attention to yourself?

250buggys

owelly":epdccjay said:
Be sure you're satisfied that you're staying the correct side of the law with A-frames. I got caught out in 2015 and I still have the points!

ETA to add: I've just notice the date of this post but the advise still stands!

I've got an A-frame and a trailer, depends on if you get pulled or not. If you have an A-frame and you tell them you are recovering the buggy you should be ok

Otherwise use a trailer with a rating plate riveted on.

What did you get pulled for owelly? You have just made this post a little bit more interesting...

Danny

Administrator
I am planning on doing my trailer license next year (i am too yyoung to have it on my licence)

owelly

In brief:
I was towing a car with my van on an A-frame. The car was fully legal, taxed, tested and insured. I have all entitlements on my licence.
A traffic cop spotted me and pulled me over. I got done for no insurance because as I was in control of the towed vehicle, it needed to be insured as if I was driving it. I also got done for faulty brakes on the towed car as there was no way of them being operated.
A-frames are only legal for use to recover a broken down vehicle to a safe place only. And that really does mean, the first safe place. For example: you can use the A-frame to move a vehicle off a motorway but it must be the first junction and no further. You can use it to move a broken down vehicle away from a dangerous corner, but no further.
I went skipping into court with the DVLA Fact Sheet in my hand but got told that it was wrong. I got 6 points and a whopping fine.

Danny

Administrator
owelly":5873vh30 said:
In brief:
I was towing a car with my van on an A-frame. The car was fully legal, taxed, tested and insured. I have all entitlements on my licence.
A traffic cop spotted me and pulled me over. I got done for no insurance because as I was in control of the towed vehicle, it needed to be insured as if I was driving it. I also got done for faulty brakes on the towed car as there was no way of them being operated.
A-frames are only legal for use to recover a broken down vehicle to a safe place only. And that really does mean, the first safe place. For example: you can use the A-frame to move a vehicle off a motorway but it must be the first junction and no further. You can use it to move a broken down vehicle away from a dangerous corner, but no further.
I went skipping into court with the DVLA Fact Sheet in my hand but got told that it was wrong. I got 6 points and a whopping fine.

ouch!!!! thats pretty bad