Alternative engine/transmission, (diesel).....

Buggybloke

Due to imminent growth in my family unit, (my wife and I are planning to have a baby...), I'm looking at a way of making buggy ownership even cheaper!,... I am soon to become the owner of a 2nd hand Citroen BX 1.9 Diesel engine, (102,000 miles), and 5 speed gearbox to suit, (30,000 miles).
My current everyday car is also a Citroen BX 1.9 Diesel, which I'm very happy with, as it is relatively quick for a n/a diesel, (non-turbo), I'm toying with the idea of fitting the spare engine and transmission to my NCF BLITZ2. The BX does around 60mpg, or 50mpg if thrashed, and tops 100mph quite easily, (on the autobahn, of course!), so on the buggy it'd be no slouch!, also no ignition to worry about in wet off-road conditions, also I could fit the disc handbrake which works on the front wheels in a BX...the only thing that is puzzling me, is the gearbox is rod-operated.... How easy is it to convert rod-change to cable change?
Can anybody throw any light on this ?

Phaeton

Staff member
Not played with a Blitz, but I would get hold of a full MGF rear subframe complete & see how easy it is to graft onto the back of it. Once done there is enough space to fit just about any engine, including a V6

Alan...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Buggybloke

I've already thought of the K series, an KV6 series engine options, sadly for me at the moment both those options are too expensive. There never seems to be either of those engines available in my neck of the woods at an acceptable price, plus the fuel consumption would probably be no better than my current A+ series 1275 lump, ....especially the V6.