Big Ends.

mikey

hi guys,
I'm interested in getting a buggy but i have been told the big ends are not sounding too good, just wondering what u guys think....
do u think i can get away with just changing the the big ends and main bearings?? or is there not much point doing that without doing an engine overhall?? and maybe a ruff price would be nice to know  ;D ??? :-\

and also i have only ever rebuilt tractor engines i guess there isn't much difference?... an engine is an engine after all!!

Mikey

Phaeton

Staff member
Mikey,

If you can get a compression test or leakdown (better) before you strip the engine, you'll know how good it is. Failing that just swap the engine for another one, might be cheaper in the long run. This is assuming it's an A series engine we're talking about & not a Chinese buggy. Whilst it's stripped you might as well regrind the valves, check the oil pump, possibly fit a centre pick-up, they all cost very little apart from a bit of time.

But yes I agree, an engine is an engine is an engine, unless of course it's a Wankel (don't you just love that word) but even one of those has got to follow standard engineering practise.

Alan...

mikey

thanks,.... and yeah its a freestyle (i don't actually own it just considering my options!)
yeah i was thinking of doing a compression test before stripping it to see what sort of nick its in. like you say if I'm going to strip parts out it doesn't take much more effort to do a bit of work to it. i was just thinking for the time being until i got a bit more monies  :) like u say could always look at another engine.

was also thinking that if its too bad and the crank shaft has picked up will have to get it ground but unsure if u can get oversized shell bearings like u can for a tractor??

yeah an engine is pretty straight forward but am just unsure about the timing cos on a tractor it has timing gears (which i understand) but a car is normally a cam belt.... just unsure on how to go about the timing is what I'm trying to get at!!

Mikey.  ;D

Mini Mad Max

You're in luck, A-series uses timing gears and you can get oversize bearings, where would we be without oversized bearings??!! :D
Max

Phaeton

Staff member
Mini Mad Max":u5xg7w8i said:
You're in luck, A-series uses timing gears
Max
What kind of A-Series you using Max? All the one I have seen have a chain, either single or duplex, either way it's straight forward, you just need to use Fleecebay & get a HBOL

Alan...

Mini Mad Max

I said gears! Well technically they're sprockets but i meant chain! Yeah thats why most buggies with standard a series engines sound so tickety and rattley, becaus of the noise the tensioner makes on the timinng chain on a simplex. Duplex doesn't have this problem :)

mikey

thanks guys..... i was talking actual gears that mesh together, that's what a tractor uses  :)  not a belt or chain.
but still my question has been answered, i basically need a Haynes manual yeah?? and that will tell me how to do it more or less. oh is there any difference between the workshop manual, and the repairs/ servicing manual or are they the same thing? (that may just be me being really stupid!! lol)  8)

i thought you must be able to get oversized bearings cos like u say max what sort of world would it be if you couldn't  :D

oh and Alan i forgot to say i agree Wankel is a great word!! ;D

Mikey.

Danny

Administrator
yep... if I can pull an engine apart I recon anybody can with the HBOL

Good luck and when its done see you at stoneleigh

Danny