Caliper Seals

Phaeton

Staff member
Had a thought which is always worrying, I split the calipers to renew the piston seals. Could it be the small seal between the 2 caliper halves that is leaking, if so can you buy this? Searching normal sites doesn't seem to bring it up.

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
Right I'm totally pee'd off now, rebuild the calipers again using new seals again put them back & they are leaking again.

So looking at that website you posted Ian they do remanufacturing so I think I will package them up & send them off. Annoyingly I don't think I will be able to find the old pistons!!!!!! I have another set of seals but think it maight be the same again, must be damaging them as I push piston back in.

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
Well,  before Christmas I sent the calipers off to Big Red being totally fed up with them. Got a call last Friday to say they were ready to be dispatched back to me, forgot my wallet so said I'd ring back Monday. Rang Monday & gave them card details, arrived Tuesday, fitted today, GUESS WHAT!!! the nearside one is leaking. To say I wasn't pleased was an understatement, rang them, full of apologies but that doesn't get me going does it. Anyway packed it up & sent it off they promise to have them back to me by Wednesday next week.

But me being me can't wait that long, last week I bought another 1275 as I was worried about this one, it came with a full subframe including calipers. So went off & fetched them, pistons slid back easily, so fitted them, well to be honest fitted them twice as I first put both on upside down, didn't realise till I tried to bleed them & found the nipple at the bottom AARRRRGH. But the good news is they seem to be a good pair, after much faffing about I still couldn't get a firm pedal. What I have now also realised is the Golf calipers are mounted upside down, they have to be that way to clear the suspension which meant I wasn't getting all the air out of them either. Simple solution with them was to unbolt the caliper,  lock off the piston so it couldn't move & then turn it so the bleed was at the top. Did both sides & now have a decent pedal,

Alan...