clutch

biddleboy

hi all has any body changed a clutch in a 998 well the engine is still in the buggy if so is it a big job as my pressure plates on its last legs

Phaeton

Staff member
Steve, it is possible, in fact I went further than that & removed the transfer housing & replaced the oil pump with it still in the frame. It's not easy & involved a lot of swearing but it is possible, biggest issue as always with Mini's is to get the flywheel to come off. You have got to have a puller, I bought mine from Halfrauds & took it back twice when I broke it.

Alan...

collie

Replaced mine too.
Engine is off the  buggy though, didn't use a puller either! Please don't ask me how I did it! lol
It's not a big job unless you had the problems Alan experienced!  :D

Danny

Administrator
dont even ask how I know, I have done 4 clutches now....long story!! The best way is to drop the subfram from the chassis on the drivers side then the bell housing comes past pretty easy.

Bitch of a job though

Danny

Phaeton

Staff member
If all else fails this is how you do it

IMG_2633.jpg

Alan...

biddleboy

thats what i like to see i agree the angry grinder :eek: :eek: always works o thats just like you to come out with somethink like that  :D

collie

I always laugh at that picture :D, it's like one of those HSE quizzes where they want you to spot everything that's done wrong!  :D

Phaeton

Staff member
This was my old buggy Mary, or Lola if Chris talks about her. Chris didn't want 13" rims so I fitted 15" BMW Mini rims but the offset is all wrong so had to have 25mm spacers to kick them out far enough.

Alan...