Drone time

Danny

Administrator
Got told I needed to spend more money by my accountant... so I just bought a Mavic Pro drone :D

Should make some good footage for wales this year :D

dji-mavic-pro.jpeg

Lilspeed

Awesome! 8)

I'd never seen a drone in action in the flesh until my mate brought a Phantom(?) home from work. Properly dropped my jaw! Never knew they were so easy to fly and so stable.
He used it to look down his chimney in preparation for fitting a log burner flue!

Any good footage yet?

Danny

Administrator
Lol I love it... Here is my first proper flight... windy as hell so should really not have bothered.. but still

[youtube]45Br6OFb2DY[/youtube]

250buggys

Good for a 1st flight, you done well not to park it in that tree. You will be zipping in and out of those old window holes in that ruin soon.

I've got a vortex 250 pro racing drone (60 mph out of the box, insane) and some fat shark goggles, currently learning how to fly FPV. I've got a blade 350 and hubsan x4 for indoors, it's an addictive hobby!

250buggys

There is some good drone footage here filmed from inside the car, all Steele's videos take a while to get going, drone action from aprox minute 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCQWQnWBujY

This is a sweet drone vid, mad location wouldn't want to go there myself but makes for a good video, again takes a while to get going so suggest pick it up from about minute 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU9_AizbSw0

Danny, you will be making videos like this in no time and finding better and better locations, last time I went out I flew over an abandoned naval base quite close to me.

Danny

Administrator
AH wicked :D

Yeah it was mega windy so was playing it quite safe :D

Got a few ideas of what I am going to do with it this year :D

ChaosMS

Danny that is a fantastic picture quality - very very stable, whats the flight time on it??

I'm building a drone at the mo, I got myself a 3d printer recently to do some prototyping work and also found the models to put together a large drone so im putting it together when i have free time, not sure its going to be as stable as that though - thats super smooth - nice work

Danny

Administrator
ChaosMS":2sx3lntl said:
Danny that is a fantastic picture quality - very very stable, whats the flight time on it??

I'm building a drone at the mo, I got myself a 3d printer recently to do some prototyping work and also found the models to put together a large drone so im putting it together when i have free time, not sure its going to be as stable as that though - thats super smooth - nice work

That was in 25mph winds as well :D

The flight time is about 27 mins which to be honest is actually enough time most of the time... I have also got 2 more spare batteries :D

The stability is what is important for me to be honest... I need to be at a high standard as I am upping my game a bit on youtube now and a drone is the next big step... Jane is also learning to fly it as she wants to do some stuff for her travel site :D (the one she has barely started)

Danny

Administrator
get building :D they are good fun :D What 3d printer did you buy? I got a laser machine that cuts and engraves :D

ChaosMS

Hi Danny, I bought a cheap CTC dual Extruder printer, it was basic but I knew that when i got it, but it has all the kit you need and the printer prints its own upgrades!! ive just taken a big step and bought a pair of all metal hot ends for it to allow me to print all the exotic filaments easily and at the right temp - stuff like carbon fiber filament / Nylons / flexible so I should never need a mounting bracket or a rubber boot again!!

I have to be honest with a few small upgrades (that only cost time and a bit of ABS filament) the print quality is superb just as good as some of the more expensive machines (we have a very expensive machine at work and as no one sets it up correctly and calibrates it accurately the prints are total crap - my cheap £280 machine produces far better prints (even with the inclusion of the e3d v6 heads it only takes the cost to £380)

So what thickness of metal will yours cut? or is it mainly an engraver (good to know when we need VIN plates!!)

Danny

Administrator
Nice and that price is really cheap.

My laser wont cut metal :-( it cuts 12mm plastic no bother though... I have been cutting and engraving control panels for a few weeks now... nothing exciting but still quite handy...

Jane uses it mostly http://www.craftycrocs.com/

250buggys

Danny, have you got any more drone videos for us? I bet you have loads of raw footage but can't be bothered to edit it yet,...

250buggys

Using the drone to film the water fall looked really good.

How did you manage to crash? Those mavics have loads of sensors to make it not crash. Hope you didn't do too much damage.

Looks like you found loads of awesome roads.

Danny

Administrator
I was flying sideways to try and get 3 hair pins in the the shot and forgot about the side of the mountain and the trees... slight loss of concentration...

They do have a lot of sensors but not when flying backwards or sideways...

The only damage was the gimbal popped out of its holder took me a day or so to realise so some later videos the footage is not good but thats life!

Jane also flew through a tree and did not crash somehow the day before :D

250buggys

Danny what camera do you use on your bike, is it a GoPro?

Here is a video for you from my drone, post editing the quality was good but when uploaded to youtube it looks washed out and grainy, not sure why? I might try a different file format next time and see if that improves things.

https://youtu.be/QGmzIoyc6Z8

Danny

Administrator
250buggys":3q1fap06 said:
Danny what camera do you use on your bike, is it a GoPro?

Here is a video for you from my drone, post editing the quality was good but when uploaded to youtube it looks washed out and grainy, not sure why? I might try a different file format next time and see if that improves things.

https://youtu.be/QGmzIoyc6Z8
I use drift cameras

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

ChaosMS

I have a pair of those drift cameras, really good units!!

I purchased the Auto Pilot electronics for my drone the other day, they are on a slow boat from china I think, but when they get here I'm one step nearer flying the beast!!

Danny

Administrator
Yeah I like drift... been useful :D

Trouble is te more camera gear you get the longer it takes to edit