Engine Breather set up...

Danny

Administrator
Hiya,

I need to start thinking about my engine breather set up as I am ditching the filter things I have as it just makes a mess of everything...

Does anybody have a picture of how the engine is meant to be?

Do I need one of the canister things on the bell housing end of the engine?

I looked through the haynes book of lies and I could not find any information on it :-(

Cheers

Danny

Phaeton

Staff member
IMAG0031.jpg

IMAG0032.jpg

There you go and no idea

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
Danny":2b8nxh6w said:
yep thanks :)

Thats what I remember just need to see if I need that canister....

Well, lets use the logic, you're doing 60mph going downhill, you take your foot off the accelerator because Simon is slowing down in front of you without brake lights, you don't brake (which is normal) but your engine backfires do to over run & being hot. The flame shoots back up the manifold, up the pipes that contain oil vapour, these ignite & carry the flame to both ends of the engine at the same time. There are no canisters (actually flame traps) so nothing to stop the flames going into the even hotter & even more full of oil vapour engine.

mmmmmm Let me think, No! I reckon your right you don't need them, but please make sure you are in front of me & I have the camera rolling, I reckon that will be worth £250 on YBF :)

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
Danny":11qlj77c said:
So that is what they are for.......

:)

PS I actually didnt know that :)

TBH not sure on Mini's but on 'REAL' engines they do have a flame trap, when I was a lad, they used to contain a one-way flap so it couldn't blow back, I suppose you could get away with some 1 way valves

Alan...

Mini Mad Max

Arghh... I hate this topic of crank ventilation because there's no clear answer. Personally I would not put pipes from the crank breathers to the carb because the oil vapour is never that nice in a mini engine, and its probably not all that great for performance. I'm pretty sure you also get increased residue build up in the combustion chamber and a glaze over the spark plugs. I also understand the benefit of making a pressure differential between the crank case and the rest of the engine with the vacuum of the carburettor, but I reckon as long as you vent the breathers to the atmosphere then that can enable the pressure caused by the rotating assembly to even off a bit more, however not as well as if you did attach them up to the carb. I also seem to recall that they were only attached up to the carb as they improved economy.
Here's my set up:
DSCF4077.jpg

DSCF4078.jpg

DSCF4080.jpg

I wanted somewhere the vapour could condense and the pressure to expand and ventilate without oil vapours ending up in my engine bay covering everything with an oily slime.
Hope that helps a bit Danny :)
Max

Mini Mad Max

I made mine from a cheap camping fuel bottle :) Cheapy cheap :) I don't know the real answer to the best solution, there is many many articles to read if you search around :p

Mini Mad Max

Got some bits of half inch tube, welded wahsers on to them, then araldited those on to the bottle. 2 for the inlets and one for the filter on top. Then what would normally be the bottle top becomes your drain plug :) Well simples.

Danny

Administrator
Well after alan sent me an oil catch tank I finally fitted it today :)

I have decided to hide it in the dark depths of the engine bay as it was simply the bet place for it to go...

I am taking here out to a classic car show tomorrow so I will get some pics :)

The tracker on the buggy killed my battery and it took a fair bit of starting and it will need another jump tomorrow morning as well hopefully the 30 minute drive to the show will give the buggy enough of a charge :)