Engine Oil

Danny

Administrator
Ok so this has been covered a million and one times in the past...

So my buggy is running a new engine its only done about 3000 miles...

I have been running it on 20w 50 and I always figured this was right because having the gearbox and the amount of abuse it got I figured a thicker oil would be good. I am however covering my engine bay in oil out of the breathers...

The reason why I question my thinking is since I bought the Cappo, the members on forum say they use fully synthetic 5w 40 I think.... I questioned this and they said its because its a nice thin oil for a high revving car....

I am not an engineer I know enough to get by and make repairs on the roadside etc but I'm puzzled....

Danny

Lilspeed

Ideally a high revving A series would use a thinner oil, but this would more than likely result in catastrophic gearbox failure! The late MPI mini's used something like 15/40 and a lot of people suspect that's why their 'boxes suffer more failures. So we're stuck with good ol' 20/50 for the sake of the cogbox. Just make sure your oil pressure is sensible - 60 maybe 70psi max with hot engine.

As for the breathers, I'm guessing you're using the small breather filters? I've found that on a road engine these are great for looking nice and liberally coating the engine with oil and not much else. Breathers should be connected to the carb to create positive crankcase ventilation - sucking in the poisonous fumes and creating lower pressure in the crankcase to help the oil seals keep the oil in.

HTH ;)

Danny

Administrator
Thanks for the detailed reply :)

I think I need to connect my breathers up then and have it the way it was designed :)

Danny

Phaeton

Staff member
That's a very good answer Danny & I would take heed of it, I never liked having the little oil filters & had I kept the A series was going to put it back as the designer designed it. Also something else to think about on the oil front, back in 1850 when it was designed along with the steam engine there was only mineral oils & you should stay with them

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
Have you got the take-off on the manifold? If so the other is easy, down to a hydraulics company buy some 1/2" pipe & a tee piece.

Alan...

Danny

Administrator
I have the breather on the timin chain cover and on on the bell housing. i then need to un crimpp the su pipe i think.....

Danny

Administrator
I managed to find the original t piece for the breathers... any ideas on the size of hose needed???

Once this is done I just have bit of de oiling and I am happy.... this is the only job I can think that I need to do......