Exhaust popping

Angel Boy

There is an interesting discussion thread going on over on the Robin Hood Owners forum about what makes and exhaust pop, when you lift of the gas.

Clicky

Getting a bit heated towards the end (still ongoing), but I've found the discussion between the application of science and experience to be an interesting one.  To me the whole exhaust popping/banging when you lift off adds to the drama and I'm not sure why you would want to get rid it  ;D

Andy

Mini Mad Max

You can't get rid of it as it's just the overrun of the camshaft isn't it?! I love the noise of it burbling popping and spluttering when you lift off :p
Max

jason_l

I love the popping and burbling!

We already have plans to map my ECU rich on the overun so that when i lift off it should spit a big ol flame out the back  ;D

Phaeton

Staff member

Is you dissin me  :D
[/quote]
Aye iz wot uz gunna do bart it, mi dard iz biga dan urs mofo
;D ;D ;D ;D

Alan...

Mini Mad Max

jason_l":2st95ed3 said:
I love the popping and burbling!

We already have plans to map my ECU rich on the overun so that when i lift off it should spit a big ol flame out the back  ;D
There was an Evo8 at the pendragon rally today that when it popped it sounded like a rifle shot... It was flippin awesome!
And i iz well up for seein some flames n shizz poppin outcha zorsst!!! Brrrrap! :D

Buggybloke":2st95ed3 said:
it could be just a leaky exhaust manifold gasket, or a loose joint somewhere in the pipework.....
That would cause a hissing noise rather than a popping noise wouldn't it... the pop they're on about is the rich unignited fuel mixture exploding in the exhaust pipe :D
Max