first car

ben waine

hi ive been givein the job of finding my big brothers first car any ideas we think he wants a clieo but my dad is having other thoughts and he says no buggy so can any of u help??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Phaeton

Staff member
TBH Ben, it really is down to how much he's prepared to pay for insurance not how much a car is going to cost. You don't say his age, whether he's passed his test, whether he wants his own insurance (always best) or whether he's going on your dad's or mum's insurance. In all cases you really have to go onto a comparison website & crunch the numbers, it might come down in the end does he wants wheels for £1k insurance or trendy wheels for £2.5k with price of car on top. But I know he won't like them, BUT 1.1 Saxo's, 1.0 Micra's, 1.0 Corsa's etc. are his best bet. Now whether a 6'7" guy can get in one is another matter.

Alan...

RichardG

We paid £600 for a low milage Rover 100 (Metro) for Matt to drive. First years insurance in Matt's name with me and his mum as named drivers cost £1500.

Metro is not the best car in the world but it was cheap to buy, easy and cheap to maintain and he loves it becasue its so much better than taking the bus  ;D

And when some old git pulled out of a side road and side swiped him he was not upset by the dent he now has in both passenger doors

Richard

Angel Boy

Agree with Alan, it is the insurance which will decide (unless you don't care how much you pay).  It is a case of sitting at one of the comparison websites for a couple of hours and keep trying with various different cars.  Anything with a 1.0 or less engine I guess.  Sorry I know it ain't sexy, but unless you have the cash to splash then small and boring is the order of the day.

Andy

collie

Not only that, but small and boring is also the better way to learn to drive IMHO.
(when I say learn to drive, you only start learning proper after you pass your test!)
Teaches you to use your gears, how not to thrash the nads off it to get the most from it.
Plus you can practice hours of car maintenance on it too.