first MOT

tomorrow is the first MOT for me and my buggy. brought it ready assembled last summer but with no MOT. then desided that i wasn't happy with how it looked, so broke whole thing down into pieces small enough to post first class. have just finished project and tomoprrow will be my first MOT. have made a lot of changes to the appearance of the car, hope this has not caused too many issues for the MOT guy to pick up on. wish me luck.

i know the frame is mechanically sound and all electrics work fine, my only concern is he will fail it for sharp edges or radious issues. do they look at things like that for MOT?

all of you out there with exposed engines, do you cover it with net for the MOT? :?

iank

"mines got a bonnet"":3jqw3qf4 said:
tomorrow is the first MOT for me and my buggy. brought it ready assembled last summer but with no MOT. then desided that i wasn't happy with how it looked, so broke whole thing down into pieces small enough to post first class. have just finished project and tomoprrow will be my first MOT. have made a lot of changes to the appearance of the car, hope this has not caused too many issues for the MOT guy to pick up on. wish me luck.

i know the frame is mechanically sound and all electrics work fine, my only concern is he will fail it for sharp edges or radious issues. do they look at things like that for MOT?

all of you out there with exposed engines, do you cover it with net for the MOT? :?

MOT don't care about sharp edges - that's an SVA thing.
I remember talking to Dave about engine covers and I think it went along the lines of needed for SVA but not for MOT (although he did mention having a long conversation with plod about it IIRC ;) )

esdebe

unless he cuts himself on it or there are bits hanging off you will be alright. They don't look for radiused edges at the MOT.

Simon

it's eleven at night and have just come in from garage. checked every nut and bolt, greased every joint and pulled on every thing that could possible come off. only major oversite i had made was the nut holding the steering wheel to columb was only three threads on and less than finger tight. :oops: dooohh.

will list the failures tomorrow :(

Phaeton

Staff member
Are you sure it needs an MOT? Theorhetically until it's been on hte road 3 years it shouldn't need one.

Alan...

iank

A good point - though if it's ever had one it'll be in the system and requires huge effort and random good luck in the DVLA to fix.

As a matter of interest, are you sure the original builder had it SVA'ed and wasn't just driving around on the donor V5?

If the V5 says austin or rover mini and not freestyle (or something similar) don't get it MOTed. The new computer system will pick up the problem and it gets flagged. As some point you get a knock on the door (or blue lights in the mirror) and the DVLA can have the car crushed if they feel like it :shock:
If that's the case you will need to get an SVA and worry about radii/edges/emissions etc.etc. :(

yes have copies of all paper work and it still has last years tax disk in the holder. all is legal!!! 8)

i may not have been clear, the frame has been on the road for 2 years in it's previous state.

iank

"mines got a bonnet"":130wwobx said:
yes have copies of all paper work and it still has last years tax disk in the holder. all is legal!!! 8)

Shplendid 8)

esdebe

You will know if it needs an MOT when the TAX renewal comes though as it tells you. You can also check on line at
http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/internet/jsp/ ... equest.jsp

(The above site won't have a record until the first MOT is done though)

The DVLA screwed up my registration and the year of first registration, and even though I have now got the right one on the form the computer record didn't match so I had to MOT my buggy after the first year.

Talking to the SVA man he belived that the car needs to be MOTed anyway as they MOT test and the SVA test test diffrent things (bearings, ball joints etc) So I'd get an MOT anyway.

Simon

RichardG

At Worcester DVLA they will not register a kit car unless it has an MOT. Only exception is that it was built from all new parts.

Both my Robin Hood and Onyx Firefox had to be MOT'd before being registered. Getting a garage to issue an MOT certificate on the chasis number only can be a challenge in itself.

Richard

well, some how it sailed through the MOT, just one advisery on offside bottem ball joint on front. little bit of play.

wooo whooo. i'm road legal.

handling is feeling a bit strange though. going for tracking set tomorrow, front and back. if that doesn't sort it, will try the tyre pressures.

can anyone tell me the tracking angles front and back, in mm please?

had fun today all in all. my nearest MOT garage is ten miles up a country lane, so was able to give it a good warming up before the MOT, if you know what i mean. had to drive it home in the rain with just a pair of sun glasses and a t-shirt on. got very scared when the wheels touched the white line on road, buggy pulled across to the other side of the road.

hope tomorrows tinkering will sort this out, other wise may be looking for a new narrower set of wheels.

Phaeton

Staff member
Congratulations, if you search for Esdebe's post you'll find a link for the settings, also what tyre pressures are you running.

Alan..

tyres are as they came from hud's mini spares. probably 28-30 all round. wot you running?

they are 13 x 7 wheels with yokohama's, not sure tyre size but they look like esdebes, eleastic bands.

Phaeton

Staff member
"mines got a bonnet"":15tc191w said:
probably 28-30 all round. wot you running?
That will probably be most of your issues, think mine are currently 12 front 18 rear, try lowering them, it will make a big difference, do a search there has been a post of mine about this.

Alan..

are you running low press at front becasue there is no weight? thing is my buggy is made slightly different, it has a cut down metro front subframe at the front as well as the back. should i maybe try 15-18 front and 20-22 back? :?

iank

"mines got a bonnet"":1o61fspn said:
are you running low press at front becasue there is no weight? thing is my buggy is made slightly different, it has a cut down metro front subframe at the front as well as the back. should i maybe try 15-18 front and 20-22 back? :?

Got to be better than 28-30 ;) See how it feels and go down a psi or two and see what happens. That's if the rim still keeps pressure (sorry couldn't resist :roll: )

had four wheel alignment set to 1/16 (1.5mm) toe in on rear and parrallel ( ish) on the front. dropped pressures to 16 and 20. handling is fantastic.

now that it handles, thinking of fititng my 1340 out of the mini into it.