Front rad / turbo'd buggy on the road

mud68

Hi, finally got my buggy back on the road after doing a few mod's. First run on the road today went okay, no leaks, no over heating, just have to sort out fuel and timing and gear selection problem. Rear disc brakes work well. Danny here's a few photo's as promised.

Attachments

• rear size.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 6,037

mud68

First time I have tried to attach pics - 1 pic per post  :)
Rad is from a Skoda Felicia - just fits in with a electric fan fitted behind it.

Attachments

• front rad sizes.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 6,040

mud68

Rad pipes run down the side of the car and thro' front suspension. 32mm dia stainless, local firm supplied and bent them for £80 from a template I made for them.

Attachments

• side size.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 6,046

Phaeton

Staff member
Very Very nice, if I wasn't going for the panniers down the side for storage you'd have a customer for another set of them pipes.

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
Even so have you any pictures of the pipes actually going through the front suspension as that's the bit that puzzled me when I was trying to do it.

Alan...

mud68

Alan, here are some closer shoots of the pipes. Both sides are the same thro' the tie rods, the green plastic clamps are Hydraulic pipe holders. I bolted them thro' the frame.

Attachments

• pipe susp.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 6,024

mud68

the passenger's side pipe goes higher up - to the top of the rad. The drivers side is cut just after the lower arm and i used part of the Felicia rad pipe to get around the bends. This photo you can see the pipe doesn't go any lower than the nose cone so grounding out shouln't be an issue. I also put cut outs under the nose cone to let the air out you can just see one of them.

Attachments

• rad pipe front 2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 6,023

Buggybloke

.......you could still have the pipes down the side and panniers....either have a small step in the bottom of the pannier floor, or space the pannier out a little.....to allow pipes to run behind them............... What turbo is it you are using on the buggy?

jason_l

Top work mate!

This looks awsome, must go some! I wanted Turbo power and front mounted radiator but i went a different route, a longer more expensive route  :-X

mud68

Buggybloke - the turbo is off a Metro with a Alfa intercooler.
Jason - just come back from DNG near Worcester, tried to set it up on the rolling road but it kept leaning out at high revs. Fuels not getting to carb from regulator at high revs for some reason  ??? Needs some more thought (and money).
Still gets to 60mph pretty rapidily, DNG said when I find the problem it will make a big difference - can't wait to find out.

jason_l

mud68":1vkbgxmy said:
Buggybloke - the turbo is off a Metro with a Alfa intercooler.
Jason - just come back from DNG near Worcester, tried to set it up on the rolling road but it kept leaning out at high revs. Fuels not getting to carb from regulator at high revs for some reason  ??? Needs some more thought (and money).
Still gets to 60mph pretty rapidily, DNG said when I find the problem it will make a big difference - can't wait to find out.

Sounds good! Carb shouldn't be too bad to setup. I have the whole ECU thing to sort through when i get round to it, althought thats a long way off yet! Get some figures up when you get it properly setup  ;D