Fuel sender and Acewell Problems

jason_l

Hi Everyone,

Started looking at the fuel gubbins. As im making a fuel tank from scratch i need to source parts and i have some parts on order already. However im having a bit of a problem with the fuel sender.

Im using a Acewell dash gauge and the fuel level reading works on a 0-100 Ohm scale. So to get an accurate reading i need a fuel sender that also match's this. I have found a nice 0-180 Ohm sender but it will give inacurate readings. Its a Durite marine unit but it does have the option of the extra gauge that is matched to the unit. I could go this route but it would mean the Acewell one will not be used.?!?!?

Acewell sell a 0-100 ohm sender but its for a tiny tank (motorbike) and would need modifying and im not sure i want to risk it.

Has Anyone else using a Acewell unit??? If so what have people done regarding the sender?

Many thanks if anyone can help.

Jason :D

Danny

Administrator
hmmmm my acewell had a rake load of ohm settings!

the best one for me was 250 ohms with a standard mini fuel sender

Danny

jason_l

So you could change the Ohm settings on the Acewell unit? Mines the 2859 unit.

I don't have my Acewell instructions here but looking on their site i know mine works off of a 0-100 scale and the acewell sender works the same. I will have to go and visit my buggy on saturday and get the instructions to dou ble check.

They are showing this scale for the Acewell unit.....

Fuel Gauge display

Bars displayed          Sener Resistance (ohms)

7                        0-10Ω
      6                        11-20Ω
      5                        21-35Ω
      4                        36-45Ω
      3                        46-60Ω
      2                        61-75Ω
      1                        76-90Ω
      1 flashing              91-100Ω

Danny

Administrator
hmmmm

mine acewell is the 3250 one I think

I could just set teh ohm setting from what i remembered

Danny

jason_l

Right, talking to someone at work and after a little more searching on the net i think i may be able to sort something out.

There is a hotrod site i found that it gets talked about and they mention using a variable pot to adjust the fuel sender to suit and get the Ohm raiting down. If i can get near to 100 Ohm as possible to match the acewell unit then it should be ok. Then just put some glue over the pot to hold it at the correct position or swap for fixed resisters. This hopefully means i can use fuel sender i want.

I will do a full walkthrough on this so it can be added to the knowledge section, when we have one.....Danny  ;D

jason_l

Right, Fuel sender arrived today. Doesn't look too bad, its quite tidy actually and doesn't have a large swinging float arm.

Had a little play and there is no way i can change the Ohm rating to 0-100 but im just going to live with it! It reads the 0 ohms at empty so in theory it does work. Will read full when the tank is full and empty when its empty but will continue reading full until the tank drops to about 55%. After that point the readout will drop uniformiley, slightly quicker then normal but it will give a reading.

Buggybloke

I have an Acewell pod, but the buttons don't seem to do anything, so clock is always wrong, and speedo is reading aspprox 4/5mph faster than I am going (suppose it helps protect licence!), I checked it with my sat-nav running, whilst I was driving.... the instructions appear to be a bit of gobbledegook.....

Phaeton

Staff member
Normal routine with them is to switch on, hold both buttons down for at least 5 secs, then display changes. Then it's one button to cycle through options & another to change. You can then leave it for 20 secs & it will store & save or you can turn off/on to save.

Alan...

Buggybloke

My one doesn't have any on/off switch, just displys the wrong time, all the time, unless battery is disconnected, and only displays other functions when ignition switch is turned on...... unless you mean turn ignition key switch on?

Phaeton

Staff member
Sorry what I should have said was switch ignition on, which effectively switches the unit on, in off mode it shows time.

Alan...