fuel tank

biddleboy

hi guys well my frame is being sand blasted Ive been working on this little mock up of the fuel tank this is it or watt it might look like on the buggy the filler neck will be just shy of coming through the bonnet
fueltank002.jpg
fueltank003.jpg
this it with no bonnet on and yes you can pull the nose cone off the filler neck
fueltank004.jpg
fueltank005.jpg
this is it with no nose cone on but bear it in mind there will be three brace bars going over the tank as well to protect it from font impact as well as your nose cone as well as your bumper
fueltank006.jpg
fueltank007.jpg
and this is the tank and by Alan's calculations it holds about 20/25 litres or 5/ 5.6 gallon and as for that bit extra weight you might need to upgrade to 100 pound springs but any surgesgens are welcome weather its worth doing or not any way it give us somethink to talk about well guys i think that's it now all this righting is making my fingers numb yeah sorry guys forgot to add tank  just my fingers not my hands i know watt you all were thinking
fueltank010.jpg

Mini Mad Max

Hmmm nice! I prefer behind the seats, I don't want a front impact which leads to a big boom lol :D It's a good way to get around IVA. Do you know the capcity?
Great skills as always :D
Max

biddleboy

as long as you can do a bit of welding Alex not hard at all you will have to relocate battery cut first bulk head out and watt you cut out you will use to weld back into the sides of the first bulk head to make a type of box that the fuel tank sits in its the simplest way with out to much messing about that i could think of and all so were would you fit a 4/5 gallon fuel tank all we need to know is weather it will pass an Iva 

jason_l

Just an observation but would it also be wise to weld in some supports along the top of the bulkhead plate that has been cut out?

Looking at the pictures there is alot of metal cut out of the front plate and there is little left along the top and nothing at the bottom. Hope this makes sense ???

Looks like a good mock up though Steve and this might be the way forward for you guys. ;)

Jason

Phaeton

Staff member
I'm with Jason on this one, I know it's only a mock-up but some lateral strength needs to go back in. Maybe you need to make it an inch thinner so you can have a brace bar across the bottom & I would weld a brace across the top as well. Once Steve sends me the photos I'll pack them off to VOSA, would be good to mock the extra bars that will give the protection from frontal impact, so they can see the complete package.

Alan...

jason_l

you could almost cut the hole out of the front but leave it joined at the bottom, then sort of fold it back so it meets the bulkhead piece behind and weld it together. Then add a extra bar along the top and maybe a few cross members at the sides???

Just my 2 pence worth ;D

Phaeton

Staff member
jason_l":2g67pn88 said:
you could almost cut the hole out of the front but leave it joined at the bottom, then sort of fold it back so it meets the bulkhead piece behind and weld it together. Then add a extra bar along the top and maybe a few cross members at the sides???

Just my 2 pence worth ;D

Only issue with doing this is there will be a floor below the tank so you would have to put holes in it, is it better it doesn't have one for leaks. Steve don't take these as negative comments, I think you're onto something bu just trying to help.

Alan...

biddleboy

yes that's great guys this is watt i want some improvements  suggestions ideas as for the weak points the sides and top will all be plated to give that extra strength with a brace bar under it to sit tank on its just that it was done out of wood but the real thing would be a lot stronger as for the impact bars at the front Alan could you add some lines tho the picture to make it look like bars any way there is all ways room for improvement if we can get passed the tank issue then i think every body will be happy keep the question and ideas coming guys

jason_l

Phaeton":1zqie13t said:
jason_l":1zqie13t said:

Just my 2 pence worth ;D

Only issue with doing this is there will be a floor below the tank so you would have to put holes in it, is it better it doesn't have one for leaks. Steve don't take these as negative comments, I think you're onto something bu just trying to help.

Alan...

I see your point Alan. However, I was thinking if it had a floor then it would protect the tank from anything being thrown up and stabbing the bottom of the tank. Will also help with corrosion and help prevent water from the road being sprayed over the bottom of it. There would be no sides to the floor so the fuel would just run off the sides if there was a leak. Hope this makes sense, it does in my mind  :D :D

collie

jason_l":1ckwpzyb said:
Phaeton":1ckwpzyb said:
jason_l":1ckwpzyb said:

Just my 2 pence worth ;D

Alan...

I see your point Alan. However, I was thinking if it had a floor then it would protect the tank from anything being thrown up and stabbing the bottom of the tank. Will also help with corrosion and help prevent water from the road being sprayed over the bottom of it. There would be no sides to the floor so the fuel would just run off the sides if there was a leak. Hope this makes sense, it does in my mind  :D :D
Just wanted to add my thoughts to the melee...  :-\
Most modern vehicles have a fuel tank exposed to the road below, what material do we propose to make the tank from, Galv steel? what thickness? If I remember right, the tank in my old car was galvenised and only 1.5mm thick? A bonus with adding the tank to the front would be to easily fit the existing mini sender unit. One negative, wouldn't you need to add a number of baffles as fuel sloshing about could affect cornering balance and also create fuel starvation? Finally, where would the fuel lines from and too.
I think we're onto a winner with this, how do VW beach buggies manage to get through IVA?  Their tank is also at the front is it not?

Phaeton

Staff member
Glad to see you're teaching him to use a saw for the next time him gets stuck in a tree, he can cut himself out, either by cutting the bow or taking his leg off.

Alan....

biddleboy

i like it lol well you got to start them some were i tried the power tolls but the miss went mad as for cheap labour it cost me more to put it right ha ha 

boger123

steve how come your alound in the shed this week so much is it cuz you brought her a new dinner table  ;) but the trouble is what you gunna buy he next week