Fuel Tanks

Danny

Administrator
Hello,

Right on my new rebuild I need to think about fuel tanks.

I Am thinking of throwing away my fire extinguishers and using the one that dave fits behind the seats. Does anybody have one that they can measure so I can see how much leg room I will have and if it will actually fit behind my seats.

Thanks

Danny

RichardG

Danny,

When you strip the buggy down try sitting on the floor with a cushion and a piece of hardboard behind you. It is more comfortable than you might think :D

More head room, more leg room, bigger fuel tanks and cost next to nothing.

There are some pictures of how we did it on my blog. We ended up with 45 litres of fuel capicity which should be good for 300+ miles

Richard

Danny

Administrator
Yeah saw how you did that at newark.... was very tempting to do the same.
I will have to think, I have just bought new seats mind but I could ebay them..lol

Danny

MattBlack

Danny, you must be a good 4 feet taller than me and i fit just nicely with rear of seat fuel tank and proper seats. I think you'd struggle.

Richard's seat set up would be much better for a long 'un like you. I'll measure the distance from my rear firewall to the front fire wall so you can get an idea on how much room you lose.

MattBlack

Danny

With the tank i'm using, the front fire wall is 190mm forward of the rear fire wall, at floor level. This reduces to about 10mm as you get to the top of both fire walls, which then are secured to the rear most box section.

i've sloped my seats backwards at the same angle as the front fire wall.. which whilst Alan thinks is the most perculiar driving position known to man.. does make me feel as though i have more space... Leg room is no different, but my arms are further away from the stearing wheel. Maybe i've got unusally long arms! a bit like an ape... !! hmmmm maybe this explains why i've always got grazed knuckles :roll:

Danny

Administrator
After measuring tonight use what can only be described as a rusty ruler I have around 190mm at the floor level and about 60mm just below the fire wall.

I think that another 20mm out of my leg room is not going to make a difference.

Thanks again

Danny

Skirrow

Danny, is you fire extinguisher out of your car now? If you are going to dispose of it I'll take it off your hands! Shame for it to go in the bin. If it's out now or will be in the near future let me know how much you want for it. I'll send a courier to pick it up if you could box it up with some padding and stuff.

Let me know!

Phaeton

Staff member
"Danny"":2e694yz8 said:
I think that another 20mm out of my leg room is not going to make a difference
Think about your arms as well, the wheel coming closer to your chest, also getting in & out.

Alan...

Danny

Administrator
I might nip down to see mahesh and see if I can borrow his tank for little test.

Danny

Danny

Administrator
Wahoooo!!

I nipped in to Bedford today and borrowed Mahesh's Fuel tank and drove back ripped seats and bulk head out and the fire extinuisher and I fit in.... still as uncomfortable as I normally am.... super!!

So looks like I will be having one of them thar tanks

CHeers everybody for the measuring and what not.

Danny